Does anyone design hydraulics?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ed Norman, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I've got several gas engines of various sizes that came with the place. I think one is from a snow machine. Most are 5-8 HP. This winter I'd like to make a 4 wheeler to use around the place, for light hauling and moving garden stuff and bales. I thought a couple of hydraulic motors and a pump and two valves would be easy, then drive it like a Bobcat. Trouble is, I know nothing about hydraulics. Anybody have a suggestion? I've got 4 small airplane tires for it, they are slick and shouldn't cut the grass up on skid turns.

2. Unregist

Unregist Guest

Seen a 3-wheeler exactly like you're describing... except it had knobby tires and 3 hydraulic motors. Side-shaft pull-start engine, small hydrualic pump, foot pedal valve (don't remember any hand controls), reservoir under the rear. Apparantly they use to use them to drag a rake through the sand traps at the golf coarses. Would have been neat to attach a log-splitter or post-hole digger to the back of it.

Problem with hydraulics is that the components are very expensive.

cheers,

3. GW

GW Member

Search on eBay under hydraulics. There's someone that sells
    a cd about hyd. components and system setups with diagrams.
    Hydraulic parts can be had cheaper if you shop around.
    Keep an eye on eBay. Try Northern Tool, surpluscenter.com,
    princedirect.com has distributor returns and overstock items
    for sale cheaper than anyone else I've found but don't always
    have what I need. Good luck with your project. I want to
    build something like that in the future. Right now I'm (slowly)
    building a self propelled backhoe, all hydraulic powered.

Greg W

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

You might try Northern Tool Company, Harbor Freight Supply, Military Surplus Company or Junkyards around your town. shadowwalker

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have the Harbor Freight and Northern Tool catalogs, and because of the suggestion, I just won an auction for a hydraulics CD on ebay, for a penny. (plus shipping). Be careful, though, the first hydraulics CD I looked at was about designing dams and culverts.