Does anyone AI?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Joann, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Joann

Joann Member

This will be my first year doing AI. Well at least I hope to try it this year. I have everything ready to go except the semen. I placed an order with Superior Semen last week but havent heard anything back on when it will be shipped.

I was wandering what gun is best to use? The one I bought is the standard french goat gun , not the needle gun I was a little leary about it. Also what is the best way to sterilize the speculums? I was thinking of boiling them in water. What also is the best thing to use to wash all the equipment in?

Thanks for any help!!

2. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

I was going to AI for three of us breeders with semen that one owns and wants used up. Now we find that she doesn't even know where it is stored. So two of my does are already bred to the buck I have because I want early spring kids, as I raise bummer lambs later on goat milk. It would be my first time in breeding goats. The other lady has all the equipment. I have A.I.ed over a thousand cows. So, I go with the flow. IF the semen gets to us, I use it. If not, my does will be bred anyway.

3. goldspur

goldspur Well-Known Member

Hello, I would love to AI my two nubain does, I have a semen tank allready but I'm not sure what type of equipment to buy. So many on the market, any sugestions, do you think it will be hard to do. My nans are 7 months old now but have not seen them come into heat, can I call my vet to give them a shot to put them into estress. Asked my vet and he said no way get your self a BILLY GOAT. //Any one out there who has done it, where did you order the semen, was the outcome good, single, twins, triplets. Thank You Connie in SD.

4. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

5. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member