Does anyone actually do these things?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Jan 2, 2005.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Howdy all and happy New Year.
    I'm posting because I am curious about something and would like to get some feedback. I always see ads in the Countryside and other mags/newspapers for home based jobs such as stuffing envelopes, or puting magnets together etc.. I was wondering if anyone has actually tried these and what they can tell me about them. I've always thought they might be a scam, but I never hear anyone saying "don't do this, I've tried it and was sorry". Just curious about how they really work, and if they are legit. or not. I'm not exactly thinking of trying it. Like I said, curiosity got the best of me.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I did some research on the stamp stuffing jobs. What I found was you get in with a company. They charge you so much per 100 addresses and then they charge you for the flyers. It's been a few years, but at the time, it didn't seem like a scam so much as it just wasn't something I could see myself making money at.

Assemble Products at Home: Again, not really "scams" as per my definition. It was mainly just a "buy my booklet on building PVC furniture" and then they tell you to build it and how to market it. I didn't find any that sent you the stuff and then picked up the return product in exchange for money.

You could always do the whole "send a dollar to the five people on the list" business. At least until the Post Master General sends you a letter explaining that it's illegal. FIL made about 5 bucks on that one!

In my experience, anything that you find in the papers or magazines now are just people wanting to sell you a flyer on how you can turn around and do the same thing. You can pretty much do something on your own without giving them your money. Make a craft item and sell them at flea markets or ebay. I have only checked out a small handful of these things, so there may actually be something good out there. If you find it.....let me know!

3. ovsfarm

ovsfarm Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my very dear cousins works at home assembling fishing lures. It is not done via the mail though. She goes to the factory and picks up the supplies and then she assembles the lures and then takes them back and they pay her per piece. It is kind of amazing how addictive it is. Her mother started doing them, then my mother, then various other relatives. Now when we have a family get together, after the meal is eaten and we are all sitting around looking at each other, someone says "Bring out the lures", and we all sit around, each one doing one part of the process. Even many of the children join in. And for some goofy reason, it is a lot of fun!

It is hard to make a lot of money at it though. I think she gets paid between $0.04 and $0.15 each item and there are multiple processes to each. The quicker ones pay less and those with more steps to the assembly cost more. The company supplies all the materials and equipment. If she gets a bad mold batch, she just calls them and says that the material is splitting too easily and they take the whole batch back or just tell her to toss all but a couple for them to review and they give her more.

Although I am an amature, I could do about 100 of the basic lures per hour.
    Those were $0.09 ones, so that was only $9.00. But it is a fun, not mentally taxing activity. My cousin, aunt, and mother were suffering from depression due to some tragic family circumstances and the lures were a Godsend for keeping everyone's mind occupied and hands busy. The rest of us just feel good knowing that we can do a little something to help out.

I would suggest calling the Chamber of Commerce in your nearest town to see if any companies farm out piecework in your area, or just grab the phonebook and ask around yourself. IMHO, if it is a legit operation, other than perhaps a deposit for your first few batches until they get to know you, the companies should not charge you anything for materials or any other charges and should pay you promptly when you bring completed pieces in.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

My ma and sister used to make fishing tackle for a place in Michigan. Easy work watch tv and bs and make a few bucks.

mikell

5. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

My MIL checked into stuffing envelopes and decided Nahhh ...

I think it helps to know yourself. As for me, stuffing envelopes or making fishing lures would not work. (I have a hard enough time folding laundry and matching socks)

I know my "thing" is either livestock or writing. So I have tested soft ware, sold some free-lance stuff (nothing more than about 500 words -- shorter sold better in the market I was in), started bottle calves and raise poultry. NOt getting rich at any of it, but making enough for Christmas gifts and an occasional meal at a restaurant.

Good luck!
    Ann

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

7. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never heard of any of these that were not scams. One booklet on how to make money at home basically said put an add in magazines and sell a booklet telling other people to do the same.

Others have "made" products at home. Which meant they purchased the supplies and the company promised they would buy back all completed items "that passed inspection". None passed. SCAM.

Better get a legit job or tighten your belt. These scams will just leave you poorer and angry at being scammed.