Does anybody use a BCS walk-behind tractor?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You can get one with a potato harvestor, and also there is a plow attachment. Is the machine strong enough to handle hard, clay soils? Can the digger get deep enough to get the spuds up without cutting them in half?

I would be interested in hearing how the BCS works for you in it's non-tiller capacity!

Thanks!

2. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I have a 725. Big enough for me, and as I age maybe a little too big...it doesn't have the separate brakes for turning, so it is a struggle all the time. It tills okay in clay soil, but it doesn't go deep enough. Rock haven doesn't help. I've had it for over 10 years, and just this season got the sickle bar going. It will shake the you-know-what out of you. But, since I don't have a riding tractor, it is what I use for my small gardening/farming business. The last few years, however, I have had neighbors do the spring cultivating with their tractors. This year I hope to be able to do most of my planting using no-till (hand done, not with a tractor).
    I guess the BCS is better than some other tillers, but everything has its limitations. If I had to get another tiller, I'd probably get another BCS even with those limitation, because it always starts which is important to me. I'd prefer a tractor with a cultivator, but the dollars are not worth it on my small operation.
    Ann

3. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a BCS 853 with a diesel engine and a 716 gas burner. They both do a great job. We purchased the 853 with a plastic layer and will never plant without using plastic again. The machine has more than enough power to do non-tilling functions. I looked at the potato plow and may purchase one in the future. We grow acres of garlic and it should do a nice job at harvest time. All the attachments I looked at at the dealer EARTHTOOLs in KY were well made. They even had a small round hay baler that can mount on the tractor. Our soil is heavy blue clay and the machine has handled it well.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Has anyone tried using the plow attachment?

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

This tiny baler attachment is pretty cool. Not economical for most homesteaders, but pretty cool none the less. And that is one attachment even the old Gravelies didnt have.

[​IMG]

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I, too, have a BCS tractor. Really all I have used mine for is the roto-tiller attachment. I have looked at adding wheel weights for better traction. In my sandy soil it spins a lot as is.

For preparing seed beds it beats Troy-Bilt hands down in my opinion. It leaves a nicer seedbed and is by far easier to operate.

Sorry, but I do not have a plow or spud digging attachment. I have a compact tractor for such.

I have looked at adding a tool bar to my BCS so that I can use the precision planter units I have. I think it would be better to plant with the BCS with the planters closer to me than on the back of a 3 pt. tractor.

7. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We keep looking at the round baler. Just think of all the places you could use it. Along edges of pastures, fence rows, along the road (if not sprayed). We think that it could pay for itself fairly quickly. We are saving our pennies the buy the baler.