Does anybody own a cream seperator?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caren, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

If so how do you like it and do you have to do anything special for the milk first? I would love to get one I'm just afraid it won't do a very good job on goat milk but then I see the seperators in the goat books so I thought I would ask here....

TIA
    CAren

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I have one. You just have to make sure the milk is the right temperature.

Ruth

3. Caren

How well does it work? I'm a little nervous to spend that much money on something that doesn't work that well.

Where did you get yours?

4. moosemaniac

It works pretty darned well - but it's a hand crank. I'd get electric if I could. I got mine on Ebay from a guy in Russia, believe it or not.

Ruth

5. Caren

how much did you pay for shipping? There are two electric ones on ebay right now but they are in Germany and he wants $190 for S&H. I think that's insane! I could see $100 maybe but $190 :eek: .

Do you only run you milk through once or a second time? How much cream would you get from a say a gallon of milk? How much milk do you put through it and how much cream do you get?

And thankyou so much for you help! I'm also wondering if it could be considered tax deductable since we are a farm? (I have to itemize every single teeny tiny paper at the end of the year.) :boring: .\

Caren

6. moosemaniac

Probably deductable if you have a tax id number; Can't say how much cream you'll get. It varies from goat to goat. I can't remember, but I think I paid about $25 for shipping and about $115 for the separator. $190 isn't that unreasonable. Check out the new prices!

Ruth

7. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I got a cream separator off ebay from a guy in Germany, although it is made in Turkey.

It is a hand crank and it works great. I didn't pay that much for shipping... Total price with shipping was $225 or $250.

I try to do 5 gallons at a time because it is a lot of work to clean it for just one gallon.

If you run the miljk through a second time you get a little more cream.

How much cream you get depends on what kind of goats you have and what stage of lactation they are in, not to mention what you feed them~! :)

hope that helps!
    Rachel

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I got one on ebay also. I think I paid 65$ for it. it is a hand crank , and works really well. but I get about a quart of heavy cream out of each gallon. It works well, but you have to get your milk about 98 degrees. My cream is so heavy it looks like marshmello cream. the spoon will stand on its own.

9. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Do y'all make butter out of your goats cream and if you do how does it tastes. I love fresh cow butter. But have never had butter made out of goats cream.

10. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I do, it taste the same as cow butter, but is creamier.

11. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

MIL has an old - little used condition - hand crank cream separator that she is wanting to sell.
    It is complete. It is american made and even has the mfg's instruction manual.
    Hasn't been used for years.
    I think it is complete.
    I can get more details if interested.

12. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would be interested.