Does anybody meditate?

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by Mountaineer, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

If so, what do you find it does for you? Was it difficult to learn how? Thanks!!

2. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

I do because it calms me down and helps me focus. My mind can really start revving and I can end up running around trying to do a million things all the while doing nothing, so I find starting my day with meditation helps me to relax and focus. I'm happier when I do.

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I've tried but I just get sleepy :/...I'm weird.

I do have a "chill" session listening to lightning and thunder/ rain on CD's..I just try to push all the bad out of mind and think about storms.

Kat

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

yes, I do.

It's somewhat difficult to learn to do it properly. I'm still not completely proficient at clearing my mind 100%. But even a partially cleared mind is better than one that is going 900 miles an hour with no brakes!

Find a quiet place, sit or lie in a comfortable position, and try to just clear your mind, and relax your body. Some people chant a mantra, that can help, and you can make your own up. Choose something that you want to focus on in your life.

I also do one when stressed or angry, where I visualize the top of my head as a volcano and pretend that I am releasing the negative energies out of it in a stream of fire and sparks. It really helps.

hollym

5. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. I'm going to research this more.

6. klear

klear Member

I meditate at night just before going to sleep, and get very good (almost dreamless) sleep on the days I meditate. (Even deeper sleep if I hadn't had any coffee that day :). I'm told that meditating in the mornings is even better (sets the tone for the whole day, etc.), but never been able to because I'm not a morning person (have to rush off to work).

Any positive experiences with morning meditation, and if so, any suggestions on becoming a morning person?

Thanks.

7. Milkwitch

Milkwitch Well-Known Member

I try to meditate every morning. I started by geting up earlier than everyone so I can have an hour to myself, I let go of all responsibilities,: (this is big job)doing nothing, worring about nothing, planing nothing... just have my tea and listen to the world being quitely noisy. With practice it does work.
    After a while I moved into meditating. It does not matter what method, being truely quiet seems to be effective.
    I find I feel better in general all day, am jsut better all round.
    As for becomeing a morning person..... I find there is something about going outside early in the morning that is just not there at anyother time.
    but the bigest thing for me personaly was learning to go to bed at a reasonable time.
    and get up at the same time every day. after a while you do feel better.
    If you sleep too long it causes all sorts of problems. Mostly depression.

8. lodestar

lodestar Alternative Realities

Life is a meditation...y'know, chop wood, carry water...breathe, breathe, breathe...exhale.

Course, sometimes we get distracted...but then we just get back on track.

Kinda like 'being in the zone'...

Don't know how to explain it better than that.

9. cozyhollow-gal

cozyhollow-gal Well-Known Member

Hi Mountaineer,
    Yes, I do meditate, but not the technical complicated way some feel is necessary. In my veiw, it is not something one has to learn only cultivate. We meditate at times without thinking about it. Focusing on something we really enjoyed or meditating on God and forming questions in our minds about life, reasons, the future, the now, perhaps someone we admire because they seem to be able to handle life so much easier, etc.
    I like to focus on pleasant things when I get so stressed out I can't handle the day. I have a special place (in my mind to go) A place in the woods by a lovely Water Falls, sitting there comtemplating creation, praying, all the while enjoying the nearness of my friend, my horse. We have many blessings in life we sometimes don't think about or realize. So meditating can help us to remember, we always have someone who cares about us near. Our creator. For me, prayer is very relaxing. I like those good feelings and it takes away the stress and puts me at ease. :) I hope your day goes good,,,
    Patsy

10. Rose N'Gideon

Rose N'Gideon Well-Known Member

I'm a morning person...just get up early every day and stay up and go to bed early :)