DOes anybody homestead with friends/extended family?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Betho, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

If this needs to be moved to the family section, sorry! I put it here because it's mainly about homesteading, family just happens to be the subject matter :)

My parents raised us on a small hobby farm, we had 5 acres and we had 3 neighbors that also had 5 acres - our houses were all fairly close together and so as kids we played together and had neighbors but we were still out in the boonies.

We now as adults are talking about doing the same thing. What would probably happen is that we'd get a large parcel of land and subdivide it and each of the 4 siblings and my parents would get a piece. We'd each homestead or hobby farm or whatever we wanted to do... DH and I would be more of a homestead situation whereas my sister and her husband would probably not do quite as much of that... and that's fine. We all have a dream of doing this, and we all want different things out of it. My brother talks about running cattle... not something DH or I would be interested in but I guess I like the idea of us all being together. Building our houses close enough to each other that our kids can go over to each other's houses without supervision (except the dogs of course).

DOes anyone have a setup like this? How does it work? There isn't a lot of conflict in my family, except my brother's wife and my sister don't get along but I think once SIL deals with some issues frm her past that will be rectified.... but I just know that a situation like this could very well escalate things. But, all in all we all get along really well and we compliment each other with our skills, as a family.

So really it would be a family farm situation, not just us homesteading on our own. Just curious if anyone else does this, pros/cons. etc. How would one set something like that up, etc.

2. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I hope some others can chime in with their previous expereince, as we are considering much of the same thing.

I know there are horror stories out there.... what if one family wants to sell out? Do the other families get the chance to purchase before selling to an "outsider"? If sold to an outsider then issues like easements, etc get interesting.

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Best advice I can give you is to make sure that everyone's expectations are spelled out CLEARLY and in WRITING. That way, there's no "he said, she said" stuff, and it will minimize the possibility of your personal version of Family Feud.

Been there, done that... :(

Pony!

4. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

I'm bumping this up again for more info, my mom actually just registered and is awaiting approval and was going to post the same topic :)

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I would also say pay for the survey, get it registered at your county, and split the land legally. Believe me it will save you a lot of grief.

6. siouxsie

siouxsie Well-Known Member

I live/work/share a farmette with 3 other women. The farm is owned on paper by all 4 of us, in partnership. If one of us someday wants to cash out, we only can sell our share to the other partners.
    We had a lawyer do the paperwork.
    I have no idea how you would do that with a family, but I suppose it would be kind of similar.
    You would have to be good friends to pull it off.

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I think it might be easier with friends sometimes than family.

8. siouxsie

I know for a fact I couldnt do it with family, or with children involved. there would be far to much conflict of interest.

9. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

What price would you get if you wanted out? 1/4 of current value ? Who determines the value?
    I am in a 4 way partnership now with 3 other guys but none of them has the money to buy my share if I wanted to sell. The only way to unload is to find another partner wanting my share which is nearly impossible. When one of us dies the estate can't even collect because there is no market to sell the share.

10. siouxsie

If I remember, the person who leaves share would be determined by a current market value when they decide to sell out.
    You do not have the 4 way deeded right, if you die, your share would be go to the farm and then it would be a 3 way deed. You need a lawyer to prepare the paperwork correctly.
    If they do not have the money to buy your 25% share between the 3 of them, then maybe they can sell off 25% of the land and settle with you for that price?
    If one of us left, we would have to take a mortgage to pay the selling partner their 25%, if we did not have the money on hand. We outlined that one already in writing. A mortgage for 25% of the farm value split 3 ways would not be a large burden if it had to be done.
    Perhaps you and your friends can do the same?

11. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

sent you a PM ...susie

12. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

Hey! - I went to high school in Loveland. LHS 1981. Lived off of 29th on Sheridan.

13. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

Hey cool :) Dh went to LHS too... later than 81 tho ;)

One thing to add... just for the record it would be subdivided legally w/ legal easements, each family having their own piece they legally own. Kinda like as if we each bought a parcel in a developed suburban neighborhood. We might share some projects like I don't know if we want the responsibility of a milk cow for instance but if my brother say wanted to share one we could each do a daily milking, etc. For the most part we all have sorta different things we want to do and we'd each have about 20 acres so plenty of room to do it.

I think I'm really wondering about family dynamics! We all get along pretty well but then again we could just be dreaming lol

14. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

hmmm didn't show up, am I missing something?

15. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

My in-laws sort of do this - have a homestead with some pieces subdivided off and the oldest son lives on one of the pieces. One thing that I think has helped them over the years-a healthy line of trees for privacy.

16. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

We "homestead" with my in-laws (kind of) There is one big farm between us, so our houses are one mile apart. It works out really nice! We actually lived with my in-laws while we built our house (well we actually lived in our camper behind their house.) When any of us decide to go out of town we take care of each others animals. They don't drop by without calling and the guy that owns the farm between us doesn't mind if the kids cut across his farm to go to grandma & grandpas. We get along really well, I'm lucky to have good in-laws.

17. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Hm you could say we do .
    My mom , sister and BIL , all basicly live on the same ground . we pick berries and make jelly together , We all cut the grass and work the garden. when we butcher everyone helps . If something happens and another needs help we help . Always thought that was just being family

18. prairiedog

prairiedog Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi I'm new here but thought I would jump in. My daughter joined a few days ago and we are homesteading together. Her Hubby and two kids live in the upstairs portion of the house and we live in the bottom. We both have our own living areas and kitchen however we end up sharing a lot of meals. So far it has worked well for us we have been at it about three years and plan to continue. It is nice to be around the grkids andhaving help with the heavy work is a godsend as we get older.

19. infinityarchive

infinityarchive New Member

I grew up living in a situation similar as described above. There were and still are many pro and cons.

PRO: I think living in close proximity to extended family is important. It is very convenient when looking for childcare. Family values are enhanced, etc.

CONS: Hmmm, where do I start? Mainly dividing the workload is difficult to do fairly. My experience was my father, brothers and I did most of the work on the farm. Other family members weren't able to do so, either because they lacked the skills or didn't want to. Thirty years later, division of the property has become a problem—the 80 acres was deeded jointly. Your idea that everyone own their individual tracts is a good idea. Another problem is not everyone has the same approach and/or ideas of how to do something.

Later.

20. OmaMutti

OmaMutti Well-Known Member

Betho, I've heard it works best if the family has a beagle that thinks it's a watchdog or a big furry black cat that catches rodents. Does your clan have either?

Sorry folks, I couldn't resist. I am Betho's mom and just got my posting privileges. I have been reading the posts though. Thanks for the good advice, thoughtful comments, and experiences shared. We will go about this with lots of legal paperwork as well as clear expectations. As Betho said, we all have varying degrees of interest in different projects so will share some and do some individually. We are a family that has lived closely (even in the same house) and thousands of miles apart (each grown child moved out of state for a job in their 20's) but all would like to be close together as their own children grow up. My husband and I wanted to retire in a place that happens to be great for this purpose. We are "taking up where we left off" in the past when we've lived on small acreage.