Homesteading Forum banner

Does Anybody Grow Baby's Breath? Interested in pictures of the plants pre-bloom.

679 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Farmerjack41 
#1 ·
My DIL just loves Baby's Breath in Mason Jars, so I decided to plant some.

Finding the Perennial type was expensive, but I figured I'd have it for years, so it would be worth the price.

The area I planted it in has growth, but I made the mistake of not planting a separate few teenie-tiny seeds in a pot so I could identify it from all the weeds.

Now I am having trouble keeping Japanese beetles from devouring the leaves. Neem Oil doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Any suggestions? Pictures of the plants pre-blooms?

#2 ·
I bought a pack of wildflower mix and had at least two that were blooming and intended to mark them or location and this reminded me. Checked it and it has gone to seed. Look here

#4 ·
I drive by hundreds of what I think are Baby's Breath in the road ditches. They are probably 2' in diameter. I'm tempted to find out if it has a market and if it can be picked.

#5 ·
Check out Pinterest and Barn or Rustic Weddings....Baby's Breath and Mason Jars for everything! They really are so very pretty - I don't think it would be easy to ship, since the flowers and stems look a little fragile, but I know my Son & DIL paid quite a bit for the BB they had to buy from the florist (since my son planted the wrong ones :rolleyes: ) for their wedding. Not sure if the flowers are 2" though - they seem to be very small in the pics, but there are so many kinds. I know they are supposed to dry nicely too, so I figured at least they would crowd out the weeds (Lambs quarters).

#6 ·
Baby's breath blooms are only about 1/2 inch in size. We see a lot of white daisies near the roadway here, that may be what you are seeing.

#8 ·
Here's what I'm seeing. The blooms are tiny. The pictures are crappy but you can get an idea of what they look like.

Flower Vegetation Plant Grass Botany
Dirt road Trail Vegetation Road Natural environment
Grass Vegetation Shrubland Plant community Grass family

#9 ·
Wow, how pretty. Baby's Breath has been listed as a 'noxious weed' in several western states - it 'escaped' cultivation and now 'infests' pastures. So.....you may well be in an area where it grows wild - save you all the trouble of planting and just do some 'gathering'. There appears to be a market for it - a favorite wedding table setting - they sell it on Etsy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.