Does anybody farm with a Farmall Cub

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmboyBill, Oct 27, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I couldnt get along with out my 48 model, but sooner or later im gonna have to get a Cub lo boy. ANYWAY, my steering ia hard and stiff, and I think its cause of that steering post inbehind the steering wheel. Im thinking of putting a grease zerk in the oil hole. , after opening it up and threading it. Whaddia u think??

2. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

FBB,
    Go to yesterdaystractor.com and look for the Farmall chat board. Post your question there. The guys on that board are very generous with their knowledge.
    Chas

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

My friend has two Farmall Cubs restored. He has a belly mower for both of them. The 60 inch mower is about more than they have the power to handle, I don't know what year they are, but one is newer than the other, and has a little more power. He runs them in local parades. He also has two cub cadet lawn mowers restored. They are too light to steer hard unless something is binding up. Have you checked the spindles at the wheels. They can get bound up with dried dirty grease, and turn very hard. Jack up the front axel and see if you can move them freely.

4. terry stewart

terry stewart Well-Known Member

it was made in 48 its just to old for you to work with SOOOOOOOOOOO Ill just come and give it a new home seting inside with the outher 3 I have 2 of them look like they just came off the show room floor

5. dave85

dave85 dave85

agree with yesterdaystractors.com

Also www.tractorbynet.com

and one called "red power magazine" I think.

i would imagine a Cub would be perfect for vegetable farming.

Dave

6. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

I too have a 48 Cub, have the plow, rotery hoe, mower, disc, drag rake and snow plow for along with a set of chains. Use it summer and winter.
    Also have a 1941 Allis C I do all the mowing with.

7. Drizler

Drizler Well-Known Member

I have a 230 with a 3' freeman loader and it steers like a ruptured duck. About all I use it for is moving dirt around. Its so high, hard to get on and off of and diffucult to steer that I really don't like it. Also for real farming there is the fact you don't have a 3 point which is the ancient industry standard. Implements for IH small old tractors is hard to find. I have a grease zerk on my 230 and it doesn't help, the headache is in the steering itself and in my case the loader being on there. Word of advice, DON'T EVER BUY A LOADER TRACTOR WITHOUT POWER STEERING. Take it from me you won't like it.
    I have a Ferguson TO 20 which I have had since long before the Farmall and I love the thing. Sits low, drives nice steers ok with no ps. Lots cheaper too as those cubs have developed into a sort of cult following.

8. jross

jross swamper

I have a 1953 Cub and I use it to mow food plots with a 4 ft pull mower, disc with a 4 ft blueberry disc, and plow snow. Every year I say I am going to get one of those grey market Yanny's, but the cub starts up, so I figure it's got another year in er.

9. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

I used to work with a Cub and loved it.

But then I grew up.

Now we have a NH T30 with a loader and a remote, a T33 with a belly mower and a remote, a NH ?65 with a loader and two remotes, a NH ?110 with a loader and two remotes and a Case 2390 with 4 remotes. Everything but the Case is 4WD.

Still have the Cub. It just doesn't get out much anymore.

10. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of your tractor? My Dad has been using the same Farmall since before I was born. It's been through more remodels and refurbishes than I can count.

Post a picture. My Dad's somewhat of a Farmall expert. With a little more to go on he may be able to help....

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have a Cub LowBoy that is yellow and has a hydraulic hitch. Runs like a sewing machine. It has a 12 volt system from the factory. When someone here needs this machine it is for sale for $2200, that is what I paid for it about 10 years ago. I rarely ever used it, It is stored in the dry and has a belly mower. Located in western NC off I-77 and I-40

12. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Then he ll know what a Farmall Cub is without me postin g a pic, which I cant do anyhoo

13. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

I'm amazed nobody has put this site up:

http://www.farmallcub.com/

Go to the forums,they are a great bunch of people.

I love my cub!

14. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

Hey, I said Daddy was the expert, not me! And he won't go near a computer so I wanted to print one out to show him. Don't get your knickers all in a twist.

We're talking about an 86 year old grump! Try explaining a message board to someone who thinks that if you are to lazy to get up and change the channel yourself you really don't need to be watching the TV anyway.

15. magnolia2017

magnolia2017 Well-Known Member

We have a 1963 cub with a double plow and sickle bar mower. Bought it two years ago and it's never gave us any problems. Looking for a disc attachment now.

Maggie

16. vallyfarm

vallyfarm Well-Known Member

Yes- check the steering box. Those Cubs steer very easily. If it is empty, fill it with grease. ALSO jack up the entire front end to check for any other binding. Wheel bearings often get neglected for decades! Als check that the caster is set corectly. Grease the entire front end until you see some old grease start to squease out of the joint. That should get her smooth again. If you have a lot of steering play that could be a problem in the Steering box that grease won't help. Good luck, Mike

17. arbutus

arbutus Well-Known Member

My cousins have a Farmall Cub that they have a sprayer mounted to - a 10 or so foot boom on each side and a pull behind tank. It gets used on their farm.

18. Drizler

Drizler Well-Known Member

like the one on my Ferguson and you need to take half the tractor apart to re seal it try this. If the oil runs out and the repair is painful just pump it lightly full of lithium grease. Been doing that with mine for over a decade and it steers very well at -35F. Its a lot easier if those leather seals the old ones used to use dry out.