Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know very little about tractors but know i'm gonna have a really hard time affording one...
if my plans hold together i plan to own 6ac in the ozarks...this is rock territory and not the music kind but the pet variety
my way of thinking i won't be doing a whole lotta work anyway, and especially not land clearing stuff...once established
in the beginning i gotta put in a septic , lots of posts, a few slabs, and the foundation for my cabin...after that...not much tractor work...so i'm thinking i hire that work...
so am i way off base?

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
No you not off base.

I work mine a lot but I am not living like you suggest you will be.

Fellow I worked with would rent a indrustral sized air compressor hook it to the back of his ATV and us a Also rented Air hammer post driver to drive steel fenceing post on his place and other peoples even.

:D Al

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No you not off base.

I work mine a lot but I am not living like you suggest you will be.

Fellow I worked with would rent a indrustral sized air compressor hook it to the back of his ATV and us a Also rented Air hammer post driver to drive steel fenceing post on his place and other peoples even.

I saw a t-post driver for about $300...looked pretty darn useful, especially if I got them there rocks...

·
Premium Member
8,531 Posts
Sounds like you plan to hook and shoot your food, and not grow it. You can probably get along without a tractor as long as you have a pickup to take to the feed store and haul square bales of hay--and get groceries.

You'll have as much money in getting all that construction work done as you would pay for a tractor--but the advantage is that you won't have to do all the work.

geo

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Lots of uses on 5 acres. Living alone, it was my right arm, although I'll add, I think outside the box. Look for a good used one.

·
Registered
13,384 Posts
I purchased a small Kubota 7800 with a backhoe a few years back. Used it to clear the banks around my pond and trench some drain tiles. Kept it over the summer and sold it for more than I paid for it.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Why do you all think every home steader has to haul square bales of hay?

Also how come a man can not build raised beds so one doesn't have to mess with rocky soil to grow food veggies in?

As far as that goes how come a fellow in that area can't run a couple feeder beef steers inside the fenced in area?

Only critters on my place is a pair of dogs a passle of cats(Kare's), free ranging white tails and other wild critters.

Crop farms where we hunted coyotes yesterday don't have any critters but pets.

·
Super Moderator
14,019 Posts
So i know very little about tractors but know i'm gonna have a really hard time affording one...
if my plans hold together i plan to own 6ac in the ozarks...this is rock territory and not the music kind but the pet variety
my way of thinking i won't be doing a whole lotta work anyway, and especially not land clearing stuff...once established
in the beginning i gotta put in a septic , lots of posts, a few slabs, and the foundation for my cabin...after that...not much tractor work...so i'm thinking i hire that work...
so am i way off base?
No you don't need a tractor or even a tiller if your able to spend the first season preparing a kitchen garden size area with a plan to expand it out within your capabilities in the following seasons.

I worked 3 acres of my original 5 acres as BISF using only worms for tilling, hand tools such as trowel, hand scratcher and water pails , mulch and two harness trained dogs to pull the small utility wagon between the BISF beds as I harvested the equivalent yield of a 7 to 1o acre truck patch with three of us. working it to sell at the local growers market, The remaining two acres comprised the house and yard, sheds and chicken tractor coop,

For the area you describe, raised BISF beds or terrace plots if hilly would work well.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Rocks in the Ozarks? Yeah there might be one or two - per sq inch. It all depends on how hands on you are. I bought a little sub-compact Mitsubishi MT180 and I use it a LOT. I got a dirt scoop for it and it takes the place of a wheel barrow. I had a few loads of gravel dumped and used the dirt scoop mounted backwards to scoop up and spread it.
A loader would have been better but I got the little tractor for $900 and dirt scoop for $150. A small tractor with a loader would be $3k minimum. Probably more like $5k.
I've got a finish mower for it so that makes it a big riding lawnmower.
The dirt scoop can go on either way. Scoop facing forward for most digging but I have it on backwards most of the time. When I go out and cut a tree for firewood or whatever, I can get the scoop under the end of the tree/log, lift it up and put something under the log to cut firewood sized pieces. Then I can stuff as much in the scoop as I can and drive it right up to my wood stack. If I cut a tree and it ends up leaning on another tree instead of falling, I hook a chain to the base of the tree and drive away until the top gets un-hung and it falls. I can also pick up one end of a log with the scoop, hook a chain to the log and pull it somewhere and only the other end is dragging in the dirt. Without the scoop, I've dragged a 12"-16" x 24 foot oak log that was for a building project.
This thing's only 18hp but diesel with low range and hook that load just right so it pulls down on the back of the tractor and it will pull a lot of weight.
We don't have a well yet so I made up a water trailer and go down to the Spring down the gravel road and fill the tank with a sump pump and gennie. It's a 225 gallon tank, trailer made from front half of an old truck frame, plus the gennie, weighs about a ton. The tractor weighs about half a ton but the axle is far back on the trailer to give me plenty of tongue weight for traction. I have a steep hill to come back up and she does the job. I don't use a draw bar as that would put the ball too far back and the trailer would just lift up the front of the tractor. The tractor has a stub sticking out to put a ball in.
I've dug some small drainage trenches but only on my flat land where I don't have rock.
I have a couple of old Fisher wood stoves and with no attachment on the tractor, I can back up to a wood stove with the lift arms under it, Hook a chain from the top of the stove to where the top link would attach, pick it up and go. I think the stoves are 500 lbs or so.
I've got a 4.3 V6 engine sitting on an engine stand and I can do the same thing with it but in that case, I run a piece of pipe through the holes in the lift arms and through the sq tubing frame of the engine stand, hook a chain up high, pick it up and go.
It's two wheel drive with turf tires and I've never been stuck but I'd still like a 4x4. I have done plenty of tire spinning in the mud when trying to push/pull/dig but I don't get stuck, I just can't do what I wanted to. I have chains for the tires and managed to rig a snow plow from an old Sears mower on the front of it and have plowed snow off the driveway.

The 1969 Sears Suburban garden tractor that the snow plow came off of was a workhorse too as they were built heavy and have low range. The hydraulic lift arms, 3 point and PTO on the tractor make it a lot more useful though.
I even made a chicken plucker out of it one year. I took the gear box from the finish mower and ran it backwards to slow the rotation down. Idling at 850 rpm, it just sat there plucking away.
I'm building a stone foundation for my shop and have been using the tractor with dirt scoop to go out and collect rocks with two flatish sides. Some of them are 12" x 24" x 36" and gotta weigh 200 lbs. I can back the little tractor right up close to the foundation.

I'm going to be building a hight tunnel and will use the tractor to shape the beds and lay plastic mulch. I think I'm going to make some 2 inch wheel spacers for that. I've got 24 inches between the tires and the spacer will put me at 28 inches which is pretty close to the standard 30 inch bed.

I bought a used fridge from the guy down the road so I went down there with the tractor, had him tilt the fridge so I could get the lift arms under, then used a strap up high, picked it up, drove home and backed it right up to my back door. No scratches, no laying it sideways, no back pain.

I do resto-mods on old 47-53 Chevy trucks, putting them on S-10 frames so I've been making trailers out of the old frames, like my water trailer and also, one to hold a truck bed to work on those, one for cabs to work on those.
I still need to build a trailer to haul behind the tractor for general hauling. It will be narrower so I can get to the back of the property. I'll be able to haul lots of wood then and it will be set like the water trailer with axle 2/3 or 3/4 of the way back.
I also move my 20' car trailer with the tractor. I pull non running vehicles with it and of course move the old cabs and beds on their trailers.

What I'd really like to have is something about 23-26 hp, not much bigger and 4x4, with a loader. I wouldn't want a bigger tractor for most things as it wouldn't fit in near as many spots as this sub-compact.

So it really depends on how much you're going to do yourself, how handy you are to begin with and as Wolf Mom said, thinking out of the box helps.
I've made pizza from scratch on one of the old Fisher stoves too. I used a lid from a small round brinkman smoker to make an oven basically.
I made a fairly big offset smoker a couple of years ago and guess how I move it. I plan on putting actual 3 point attachment points on the smoker(and some other things). Right now I get the lift arms under, wrap a chain around the horizontal smoke chamber, pick it up and go.

I'd like to get a tiller for it but it would have to be 3 foot, 4 foot wide max and they're hard to find. I should fill the rear tires with liquid with as much pulling as I do but I should get some ag tires first. Problem is, they don't make that size tire any more. I'm probably going to have to get another set of newer rims, cut the centers out of both sets of rims and weld my centers into the newer outer rims.
I actually did find one place that sells ag tires to fit. Gemplers of all places but looking at the pics, they look like the cheapest china rubber I've ever seen. All shiny and warped looking. No thanks. I should be able to get some kubota/JD rims of similar size but with tires being available and maybe with ag tires already on them.

Parts availability is an issue. There's one place that has a lot of NOS parts but that's it. Funny thing is, Mitsubishi sold the rights and probably the tooling to a company in India so you can actually buy a brand new MT180; IF you're in Inida. Maybe some day parts will make it over here but probably only if they start selling the tractors here. That might never happen as they'd have to be built to our newer stricter standards. They were originally made in the early 80s. In a couple of years, mine will be 40 years old. They put that same 3cyl diesel in a lot of fork lifts too. I'd put them right up there with Kubota as far as strength and durability.

·
Registered
13,384 Posts
A tractor is a hired hand loyal until death
He sits on call 24/7 until needed
Never complains
Never calls in sick
Takes no vacations
Brings no drama to work
Does exactly what you tell it and is content to wait out in the barn, or under the lean too, or out in the field
Sort of sounds like my dog

·
Banned
980 Posts
need is often confused with want......you do not 'need' one, especially if you have a friendly neighbor who will let you use theirs whenever you want I suppose.or you can do things other ways, civilization has done things other ways for thousands of years prior to tractors. That being said I sure use the 3 i have a awful lot, but I like doing things with the least amount of effort and hassle to myself as possible. I build my whole life around it honestly.things are so much of a enjoyment to do when you have tools and equipment that makes it a lot less effort. Thats just a fact.
cut down a tree, use the tractor, plow a field, use the tractor. move compost, use the tractor, grade my driveway, use the tractor, skin a deer or cow, use the tractor, help someone out of a ditch, use the tractor, kids bored and want a ride around the fields, use the tractor. someone parks in my parking lot without permission put boulders around their car by using the tractor and leave it there for a few weeks, unless they feel like paying you $100 to move them (Extra bonus amusement when they call the police and the police ask you to move it, you say no and the police say there is nothing they do because it is private property.) .pound in fence post or carry the posts or pull your fence wire,use the tractor.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,451 Posts
need is often confused with want......you do not 'need' one, especially if you have a friendly neighbor who will let you use theirs whenever you want I suppose.or you can do things other ways, civilization has done things other ways for thousands of years prior to tractors. That being said I sure use the 3 i have a awful lot, but I like doing things with the least amount of effort and hassle to myself as possible. I build my whole life around it honestly.things are so much of a enjoyment to do when you have tools and equipment that makes it a lot less effort. Thats just a fact.
cut down a tree, use the tractor, plow a field, use the tractor. move compost, use the tractor, grade my driveway, use the tractor, skin a deer or cow, use the tractor, help someone out of a ditch, use the tractor, kids bored and want a ride around the fields, use the tractor. someone parks in my parking lot without permission put boulders around their car by using the tractor and leave it there for a few weeks, unless they feel like paying you $100 to move them (Extra bonus amusement when they call the police and the police ask you to move it, you say no and the police say there is nothing they do because it is private property.) .pound in fence post or carry the posts or pull your fence wire,use the tractor.
But when you have an accident with the friendly neighbor's tractor, you just bought HIM a new tractor. Best to buy your own.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
When you’re trying to put in a garden with a spade and a garden fork, you will wish you had a tractor. I can tell you, from experience, that this sucks! That doesn’t mean that you need the super deluxe tractor. We have a little walk behind tractor made by BCS and it is just right for our purposes.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Tractor Never calls in sick:rolleyes::(. why is it then ya'll are telling people not to get older tractors that may break down? Isn't a broke down tractor the equvenlt of calling in sick?

I have 3 of these and you would be surprized what they produce. No tractor was used in the making of them even filling with dirt.

Tomatoes grow to over 6 foot tall. Squash plants get over 3 feet tall and run thru thr neighbour hood if I let them

Lady came to the house to have me extract her honey. Kare took her to tour the bee hives(25) We have in the front and back. Saw my raised beds all the tomatoes, squash, beans, corn, peppers and egg plant. She had me build her five 12 feet long 4 feet wide with 30 inches between them.
Starting about June she brings baskets of produce for any body that wants them.

She hired some one to bring in two huge dump truck loads of top soil for me to put in her beds, shovel and wheel borrow.

:D. Al

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
2,105 Posts
A tractor is a hired hand loyal until death
He sits on call 24/7 until needed
Never complains
Never calls in sick
Takes no vacations
Brings no drama to work
Does exactly what you tell it and is content to wait out in the barn, or under the lean too, or out in the field
Sort of sounds like my dog
Your equipment must be a lot newer (or better maintained) than mine....it always brings plenty of drama and despises listening to what I tell it to do.

Course, it could just be operator error.:D

1 - 20 of 97 Posts