Does a Nubian/Boer mix give good milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sasha, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Sasha

Sasha Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry if this is a dumb question.

We found some goats for sale. They are Nubians crossed with Boers. They look like Nubians except that the ends of their ears are maybe a bit pointed.

Anyway, we want goats for milk. Will the Boer blood affect that very much? Will they work for what I need?

TIA!

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

They will give less milk that a 'regular" dairy goat but if you milk two, you will will prehaps get as much milk as if you milked one dairy goat. The milk should be rich and creamy from these two breeds however. Are these goats tame? Or are they dam-raised, never handled much, as many meat type goats are. Also, inspect the udders carefully, as many Boers have 4 teats which is not what you want for milking. If you are after milk goats, i would pass these up. If you are after dual purpose goats, then perhaps these may suit your purpose. Are you intending to butcher the little male offspring or have a ready market for meat goats? This is the purpose for Boers. Think it through and be sure this is what you are after and don't be lulled into the purchase of the first convient goats you find. Also, some lines of Nubians do not milk that well. Are the Nubians these goats crossed with heavy milkers? Have you seen the udders on the momma goats? Are they of good capacity and well attached and not dangling down? Are the teats of nice size for milking instead of tiny little "handles"? Take awhile to look at all of this.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if they are from good dairy stock and good full blood Boers from South Africa they will give PLENTY of milk, i wouldnt worry about not getting enough milk from this cross unless it was made with cull quality animals to beginwith, thats when you get poor milk and meat value

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

TexCountryWoman is right about checking the udders -- Nubians are prone to have udders that aren't as well attached as they could be, and Boers are notorious for having bad udders. That said, however, the reason those meat Boers have such fast growing babies is because they are delivering milk to them, LOL! The half-Boer doe that I was milking was giving over a gallon and a half of very good milk every day. So if the parent animals were good quality, and the udders are decent, I wouldn't hesitate to buy half Boer milkers again. Just do some checking first -- if you have no experience with goats, it would be a good idea to find someone who has, and see if they'll go with you to look at these goats.

Kathleen