Does a crawlspace requrie a sump pump pit?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Jun 9, 2006.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if a crawlspace needs a sump pump pit/hole? The floor of the crawlspace is going to be poured concrete and there is going to be big "O" around the footings. Thanks Chris

2. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think it just depends on your local water table.
    Our crawlspace does not have a sump pump, and never gets wet. A few miles west of here people use them.
    Maybe you can get an idea what houses nearby are doing?

Gary

3. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

More information needed. Is the building to be done in Ontario? Is drainage toward or away from the residence? Is roof water diverted away? What is the purpose of a slab being poured for crawl space? Is that standard practice in the area? What provisions are being made in relation to freezing of ground and water?

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Hum, don't think I have ever seen a crawl space cemented over, that really is odd! Granted 90% of the houses here have full basements, but split levels were popular a generation ago, and they all have crushed rock or gravel for a 'floor' in the crawl space.

What is the 'O' all about?

Sure would be easier to do now than later; however getting it in the lowest part is often difficult, in a location that likely is not poured/ leveled very carefully....

--->Paul

5. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

If in doubt put the crock in .

buy the pump if and when you need it.

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

the big "o" (drain tile)has too drain somewhere. usually that is inside too a sump pit where you can put a sump pump. cost now50-75 dollars , cost if needed and not put in 300 or more. doubt if the building inspecter would let it slide, plus getting him looking now will mean he could be on your case the whole project!

7. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I think they are going drain the water from around the footings with the big "O" down the hill and away from the foundation. I went up to see it last night, only the footings were in, walls are going up this week. Thanks Chris