Doelings - what do you charge? and how long do you keep them?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cjb, May 30, 2006.

1. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

I think my sister is going to take two of the doelings born here last Saturday but I'm not sure if the other two have homes yet. They are 1/2 Nubian, 1/4 saanen, 1/4 oberhaslis. The moms are awesome milkers and have great temperaments.

Last year, we had three babies and I sold two for $45 each and, of course.. kept my favorite.

I think we'll likely sell all four this year, although my wife is in love with one wee little girl... so we'll see.

What do you think is a fair price? They are, of course, exceptionally cute. My kids handle them constantly so they will be very, very tame (already are).

cliff

2. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    That price seems fair. Where are you located?
    Anne
    Cowgirlracer

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

If they are healthy, hardy little doelings out of a good milker and a good buck. If they have decent mammary and conformation behind them.....I won't sell my grade doelings for less than $50 and usually $75-$100. Bucklings are a different story, I sell mine for $15-$20 at a few days old. If your sister is willing to take bottle babies, sell them as soon as possible after they have had their colostrum. The less time you have them, the less money you have in them. They sound like nice kids.=)

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would not charge my sister if she would want a goat. othere than that i agree with emily.

5. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh I wouldn't charge my sister either - just wondered about the other two. :)

6. ozark_jewels

Oh, I guess I'm the mercenary here......if my sister was young and still at home, I'd give her one free of charge. But if she was independent and capable of paying......I'd charge her a nominal fee.....<grin> Or make it a birthday present. Goats make great birthday presents!!

7. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what a great birthday present. maybe i should give my daughter one as a birthday present :rolleyes:

8. ozark_jewels

I got the doe that is in my avatar for my 19th birthday. She was a present from my sister. She was the sweetest doe ever. Lost her this February, tore me up something awful. But she left me with two beautiful daughters. On is almost the spitting image of her.

9. Lizzyandgang

Lizzyandgang New Member

Wow - that is so cheap! In Georgia brush goats are $75 and dairy goats are $100-200. I charge $200 (100% Alpine) for a doe and kid combo(I feel better when my girls leave with a friend!) if she is a good milker. I guess it all depends where you live and the demand for goats in the area. Actually I give milkers away free if I know the people - I want to promote goat milk as much as possible so I give it away whenever possible. I always charge for brush goats though - go figure!

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I think it depends on the quality of the doeling as well as the breeding. You said the temperment and the genetics for great milking were there. That is very important. How old are they? How much time, feed and labor have you put into them? Are they weaned and already eating on their own? Do they have their shots? Have they been routinely wormed? Are they certified CAE and CL neg? Are they glowing with health? fat, slick, shiney? All those things count. They are mixed breeds, but if the previous mentioned things are in order, you should be able to be firm with your price as you know they are worth what you ask and you should be proud of your animals.