Doeling question-probable CL

Discussion in 'Goats' started by trnubian, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. trnubian

    trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

    Messages:
    1,015
    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    Location:
    Indiana
    If it does happen to be CL, and i don't think it is, bleach or any disifectant ids really not going to work well. CL gets in the ground and stays and is very hard to kill.

    I don't know if I would bandage the kid up. Goats don't like bandages and even if you wrapped it around her, she could get a foot stuck in it, or chew it off. It could further infect her. Her mother will probably also try to take it off of her. If you can at all, try to keep them (mother brother and her) up away from the rest of your herd. Make sure they have food and water and shelter and a cool place to lay. This will give you a chance to better observe her, make friends with her, and it will help to keep her from infecting the rest of your herd if she is sick.

    Try to have the vet come out to you if you can to do blood tests and to look at your doeling. (You will have to pay an extra farm call.) If they won't come, take her, her dam, and brother in a trailer to your vet.
     
  2. Croenan

    Croenan Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    312
    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Location:
    Stuart, VA
    So I thought I'd give you an update about my doeling, Snorky. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but when we finally caught her, the abscess was sealed up and not oozing. The ooze that I did see come out was drippy and almost like amniotic goo. If I hadn't actually seen it come out, I wouldn't have even know it happened. There is still a small bump there and I am hoping to take her to a local vet tomorrow. Not a goat vet, but he did treat my buck once, so I figure that he can test it for CL and give her some antibiotics and maybe lance the rest. She is still jumping and playing as normal and eating well, so I am still clueless as to what happened to her.

    Has anyone ever had an injury (like from other goats) swell up hard and then burst? It just seems too weird.

    I have some LA-200 but I have no idea on how much to give her and if I might be able to get away with a drench. I'd hate to have to give her another shot.
     

  3. Key

    Key Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    141
    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2005
    Location:
    PA
    I have an Alpine cross with similiar symptoms....she suddenly got a bump just where her umblical cord would have attached (but she is an adult...more like 2 or 3 years old). It was soft orginially (which I thought was a good sign NOT to be CL), but it is becoming more firm. She is sensitive there, too, when I touch it and gently push on it. No sign of my goat's lump opening up....but it could if it gets harder.
     
  4. trnubian

    trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

    Messages:
    1,015
    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    Location:
    Indiana
    LA-200 won't do anything more than give her another hard lump. It is a very very eak anitbiotic. If you feel like you need to give her something give her a 5-14 day corse of Procraine Penicillan G. It is 1cc per 15 pounds SQ.

    Like I said before. She could have accidently stepped on or pulled her umbilical cord before it dropped off, or another goat could have doe it. it would cuase it to herniated and get infected, because it was left untreated because you didn't know that it had happened. It is just a thing that happens sometimes.
     
  5. Croenan

    Croenan Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    312
    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Location:
    Stuart, VA
    Do you think that I should still have her treated with antibiotics or looked at by a vet. I hate to give them anything they don't need and I REALLY hate to drag her to the vet if I don't need to. Also, do you still think that it isn't CL because of the consistancy? She is acting completely normal and running and jumping and eating fine. The wound doesn't look any worse, better if anything. She is still nursing so she might be getting nec. antibiotics.
     
  6. Croenan

    Croenan Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    312
    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Location:
    Stuart, VA
    Update- well, she has developed scours, but is still eating and drinking and playing well. We made an appt but the vet couldn't see her until Monday! We wormed her again and gave her some probios and B1. My question today is what antibiotic can/should we give her. I am nervous about waiting until tomorrow unless her berries are getting better tomorrow. If she is worse or still bad tomorrow we will tell the vet to see her now, or at least get a run of antibiotics in her. She is only 1 month old and is pretty small...no biggire than a cat so I'd say about 10 pounds max. How much antibiotic and what?

    Sigh :shrug:
     
  7. livestockmom

    livestockmom Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    252
    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    At 4 weeks old and scouring, Coccidia would be my first thought( unless she overate). Along with worming, I would start DiMethox 40% or Sulmet in her ASAP if she were mine... Do you have Probios?

    A fecal will tell you what her parasite load is and if you are dealing with cocci... does it have a real foul smell? She is right at the age for Cocci to present itself.

    Wishes coming from my home to yours for a quick recovery for your little doe.
     
  8. trnubian

    trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

    Messages:
    1,015
    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    Location:
    Indiana
    I would still want the vet to look at her and tell o whether or not se has a hernia.

    Do you have a TSC or a farm store around you that carries livestock feed and euipment? If so, go and get an electrolyte powder made for calves. the best one I have found is called bounce. Mix it up in some cool water and give her about 60 cc orally twice a day. It should help dry her up and keep her hydrated. The only way to tell for sure that she has coccidia is to have a fecal run by the vet. You can also tell by the smell. If it smells REALLY bad, different from other goats runny stool, then it is probably coccidiosis. She is aout the right age for it and since she is running with adults she can pick it up much easier.

    Monday is not that far away. Keep giving her the electrolytes twice a day, and watch her closely. She should be ok until then. If you have any albon or Co-Rid, or any sulfa based antibiotic, you could go ahead and give her the regular dosage she would get as this is what the vet will give you if she does have it.
     
  9. Croenan

    Croenan Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    312
    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Location:
    Stuart, VA
    Update....I think she is doing better. I treated her for coccidosis and her scours are gone already. She has an appointment on Monday for the abscess, keep your fingers crossed that it isn't CL! BTW.,..does anyone knwo what CL does to humans since it is contagious? I am having a serious cootie moment over here! :LOL:
     
  10. Goat Freak

    Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

    Messages:
    1,970
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Location:
    Florida
    You gort it, my fingers will be crossed for ya. Well good luck.