doeling mounting doeling??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Jun 4, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Daisy is trying to get a little too friendly w/ rose. Is this a normal sisterly behavior??I have never seen them her do this before, but she was really going for it!

What gives?

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

In does, this is a signs of dominance or a sign of being in heat. It is normal behavior. :)

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

And often it is the less dominant one who instigates the mounting behavior. It lessens ones they all agree to the ranking order - at least until something happens that makes them want to revisit or fine tune the "who's who" list.

Of course, they'll do this out of the blue if you have visitors! (Just so you get to explain what's going on to the young ones or easily embarrassed ones.)

Lynda

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I always thought it was also a sign of dominance between does. Kinda like a more dominant doe putting a lesser in it's place. At least, thats what happens around here with mine. Usually older does don't do it I've found, because they would rather butt heads, but younger doelings do it quite often. I have to sisters that I kept from last year and the more dominant, Cadee, will do the mounting behavior while playing. I've never seen it the other way around.