Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe that raised quite a few litters. Did OK with them and I kept a few of her daughters and sons for replacement stock. They are raising good litters also.
She is only 2 years old. She doesn't seem to have enough milk any more.
Because of this she has lost her last 2 litters. I didn't understand what was going on, or I would have fostered them. She keeps them for a few days then they die. This time it was only 2 days. They are not stomped or any thing. Just cold and dead.
She wasn't a particularly expensive doe $35. But I would like to get 1 more litter from her. I have bred 4 does and her. I am going to foster her whole litter out.
My question is how do youu mark the kits when they are that little? I keep pedigrees and the rabbits are Cals and NZWs. If the marking doesn't work I;ll mess up 5 litters identification. Up ubtill now I have only fostered nzw to cals and cals to nzw.
Also any idea why she stopped making enough milk? 2 just isn't that old.
Does any one know how long rabbits get colostrum milk?

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Food colouring would likely work, if they are mainly white rabbits. There are also livestock markers available, but I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are all 5 does cross bred? Or do you have any that are pure bred, that maybe you could cross foster and then foster all of this does kits to one of them?

I know this sounds goofy....ya'll can quit giggling now. :)

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are pure bred. all of them. 3 NZW and 2 cals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think I said it wrong and I just want to clarify. You said the litter that you want to foster are cross bred and you'd have trouble figuring out which is which if fostered.

So you have 5 does....

What is the breed of the buck that each is bred to:

NZW1-
NZW2-
NZW3-
Cal1-
Cal2-

And which doe is the one that doesn't produce alot of milk?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are bred pure bred. The nzw doe is the one I am having problems with.
I am going to take advantage that one of the Cals usually only has 4. The one I want to foster from has 7-9.
The rest have 7-8.
I may have to cull any runts in the litters to do this.
I understand what your saying. If I foster all of the kits from the Cal doe that has 4 to the 2 younger NZWs. Then I foster all the kits from the poor milking NZW to the Cal doe then I will know whos kits are whose with out marking them.

NZW1- poor milker , kits go to Cal 1.
NZW2- gets some of Cal ones kits
NZW3- gets some of Cal ones kits
Cal1- gets NZW1- poor milkers kits
Cal2- what she gets depends on how many she has but has fostered before and milks better than Cal 1.
This should allow me to raise every one and not need to mark them.
We shall see. But I need to get her bred again, before any of this will work.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am dealing with this as well today. All mine are purebred Blanc de Hotot, and I should move two from one to the other. Completely identical, and I owuld just prefer to keep them id'd. Any thought on a marking system???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok let me say first I am still really new and haven't tried this myself (we just raise the meat for our own table so I don't mark my babies) but I do remember reading somewhere when I was getting started and considering marking that stated you could rub tattoo ink on the babies ears to help mark them when they were first born if fostering. Might want someone else to clarify this before taking my advice though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts