Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the doe that popples 2 1/2 weeks ago now & I noticed 3 days ago her face was really dirty. I was worried that a kit died & she was taking care of that, so I check the nest & all of the kits are fine. I even cleaned the nest for the 2nd time Thanksgiving a.m. & actually have not figured out why yet. It didn't seem wet & I couldn't find any poo but all the popples seem fine & actually soooo cute. They are moving around quite a bit & I had trouble trying to make the stay in the nest that day. I know pretty soon they will be all over that cage. I worry about the cold still though.
Anyways sorry to get off on other things, why would her face be so dirty? I was never like that before, other than a little blood after she kindled.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maggie, I'm not sure. Her cage is off the ground & we have snow here so I know it's not mud & it can't be blood cause no one's bleeding. I don't know if it's poop, it is like blended in the fur now & not stiff or anything like that. I didn't know if the doe cleans up after the popples go potty or not? Could it be she got poop on her face if so? There nest looks really clean so that's what I was thinking.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Honestly, Katie, I don't know what is going on with her. Are her own poops normal or soft? I can't think what it could be except poop, under the circumstances. Never saw a rabbit that didn't clean itself up either, although John Caper posted about one of his recently that let herself get dirty. That was in a ground pen though and she eventually did clean herself up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a doe that had a galvanized feeder in a wooden hutch and the tarnish coming off it would stain her face and lower part of her ears. I went back to the crocks but the stain is still there...definetly noticeable on a NZW

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope her poop is normal and when I check on the popples I have yet to find any poop. I have been watching her & I really think she's eating the little one's poo. Where else could it be going? I can't imagine it coming from anything else, it seems to only be on what would be like her cheeks. But the fur is not hard or crusty or nothing like that. She normally is a very clean rabbit. Maybe she can't get this off. I'll see what I can do this afternoon when I go down there again.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
meddac, maybe it could be from the food dish. The pens are homemade rabbit wire & wood, raised up off the ground & the dish is one of those J channel type dishes & it is metal, but I have 3 other rabbits that are white in another cage but everything the same & they don't have anything on there faces. I must have strange rabbits.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, not dusty food either I don't think. I checked her face out, The fur is still soft & everything but to look at her it looks like when a white dog gets into something like oil, etc. & it's just like on the face/cheek area. No discharge from her eyes or anything like that. Do they eat the popples poo? There nest seems really clean for 6 three week old babies in there. If it is poop will she be able to wash her face & get clean or will I need to do that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts