Doe with eye infection...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MrsFarmerWilly, Jul 7, 2006.

1. MrsFarmerWilly

MrsFarmerWilly Well-Known Member

Have 3 month old New Zealand Doe with a left eye infection. No drainage, but is swollen shut. Opened eye just a bit and has moderate white substance in eye. What type of antibiotic ointment do I need to get, where can I get it and how much do I use and how often. She has a roommate another New Zealand Doe same age, should I medicate her eyes also? Please send any info you can.
    Thank you,
    Mrs Farmer Willy

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

You can pick up some Terramycin (I believe it is that) in a tube, you can definitely get it at a vet, or you can also get it at some ranch/farm supply stores. It is an eye ointment. If you cannot get the Terramycin, just ask for an eye ointment, and use whatever they recommend. Just hold open the eye (one finger on top and bottom forcing it open), and squeeze the gel into the eye, one line of it should do it, and if you do it once or twice a day it should heal up nicely, especially if you do it twice. It could just be something got caught in her eye, so I wouldn't medicate the roomate unless you see her eye looking irritated at all, and keep an eye on her as well.

Her eye should recover just fine, I've had so many baby bunnies get their eyes like this, especially when the mother uses the nest box as a litter box, so unless you let it stay like that, it should recover fine, or at the worst she will have a couple of small blind spots in her eye that may end up going away down the road.

Meanwhile you can make sure the eye doesn't crust over, and keep it open and the outside clean of pus, etc...

3. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

She called earlier---said it looked 80% better already and had eye open, was hopping around and having a grand time. Gotta love the Mrs.---she could cure a rock with a touch and a gentle word. Lord she even brings me out of my cranky moods.