Doe with 13 kits.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by LizinNH, Mar 3, 2004.

1. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

My champange d'argent doe delivered 13 identical baby bunnies on 3/1. I was going to take out any runts but there are none. Now, I know that she can only nurse 8 at a time which leaves 5 that don't get to eat. I do not have another doe to foster the extra kits to. Is it possible that she will nurse twice a day for the added kits? What are the chances that they all survive? Have any of you had this happen before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Liz in NH

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I would wait and see...check them to see which ones may not be getting fed...they may rotate, so they each get some food. One of my does feeds more than onces, I've seen her go in a couple times during the day and I can assume she goes in the PM, too, so I don't worry, even though she had 10 less kits, than yours.

If you check them and some appear to not be fed, then you can supplement by feeding them yourself, or just let nature take its course.

Best of luck to you and the new kits.

3. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

Liz,

I've been in the same situation. My doe had 13 and she only lost one. Now she did feed them 2-3 times a day, as best as I could tell. Some does do and some only feed once/day. It really just boils down to the strong survive and week don't. The good news is, most should survive. Wish I could be more helpful, perhaps someone else knows something I don't. Hope for the best and good luck.

Mike

4. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

Thank you for your encouragment. At least there is some hope that I won't lose too many.
    To add to my dilema. My other doe kindled last night. So I figured great I could foster the extra kits to her, right? Wrong, she had ten. I just can't win. :rolleyes:
    Liz in NH

5. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

Rabbits are smarter than humans about these things.... She will either find a way to keep them all healthy, or she will rid herself of her own problem. RELAX.

There is never a reason to remove perfectly healthy kits from their mother - no matter the size of the kindling. Including, but not limited to surrogate does.

Sue