doe update

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Al. Countryboy, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Doe is much better. Bitting ears and trying to keep all younger does streight. She had eaten alot of the forrage that I brought them yesterday. I gave her 9cc of penicillin, about 50cc of CMPK and 2 squirts of probios geal in a cup of gatorade which she hated. I cleaned her up real good again. She looks pretty normal from her rear side now. I milked her out which was about a quart and a cup of milk. She had no fever this morning. :) and so much better than yesterday morning. She didn't eat alot of feed, but I was doing too many things to her. Will wait till she eats next time. I am almost out of the probios and will see about getting the powdered kind for horses today. Things seem to be much better today.
    Thanks to all for your help. Will keep up meds. and wait.
    I noticed a post from motdaugrnds reguarding milk fever and after reading their post I figure this is probably what my goat had. One guestion after reading this posts(and not being critical at all) just want to learn and be ready in case there is a next time. They gave all the different things that was going on with their doe that I would think from reading and were going on with my doe except she was never very weak. They stated that she did not have milk fever or mastitis. I've seen mastitis and its not a pretty site (not mine thank God). AM I wrong in thinking that their are no signs that you can see as far as looking at the udder with milk fever? Mine my girls looked fine except that she did not as much, but figured that this was caused from being 3 weeks early and aborting. So with these symptoms their goat probably did indeed have milk fever? I possibly like them thought you could see this problem.

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Iam glad your doe is feeling better, been watching your posts. I think it is sweet how you fuss over her[ cutting her treats]. You are a good man countryboy!

3. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I thought you wern't supposed to milk her out..?? maybe I need to go find that post an re-read it.. :confused:

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Thanks Stacy, I can't and can believe that I miss read Vicki's posts. It just didn't seem the thing to do even though the vet. told me to. Things have been unreal around here. Wife is gone, have baby chickens, and many, many other things to do at one time. I haven't been thinking real well since taking methatrexate (sp?) for two years. That stuff about killed me. I am on Mobic also as I read about others taking and also Enbrol eight shots ($1,400.00) a month and hope that I am slowly recovering. :( I am doing much better on these meds. so you guys bare with me and be sure to correct me when needed. ;) My wife is not around to keep me steight. :no: :no: :no: At one point I felt that I should get rid of my girls, but want to keep them as long as possible. I do so enjoy haveing animals around, especially my goats. Thanks again Sondra. :)

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Milk fever is caused by Hypocalcemia and no you see no signs in the udder. and yes those that have either need the CMPK continually until they are 100% once again or you will just be going for a roller coaster ride. Milking her out now causes her to use up her calcium to make more milk. Leaving her unmilked lets her body absorb that milk getting extra calcium needed. If you can not find pd probios I have also got peoples acidolpholis and given them capsuls which they usually gobble right down. or dump the capsuls in your gatoraid but is a heck of lot more exspensive that way.
    by the way am sorry to hear you have to take all the meds and have been having these problems to boot. but hey those girls of yours in most situations are what helps calm the heavy load. Glad you are feeling better.