doe update

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Al. Countryboy, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Had to get CMPK at my vets. since none of the feed stores carry it, but could order it for me. It was in a tupe and costs $8.00. I talked with my vet. for some time on the phone before I went to get it and he felt that I should not give it now, but have it handy if needed. My doe seems to be doing ok today and yesterday afternoon after giving her the yogurt and probios. She ate most of her food this morning and is back to bulling my doe that is lowest ranked in the herd around again. :( She seemed strong yesterday but I believe was hurting and didn't want to move. I think that she had a stomach ache possibly from the new pasture that I had let them into to eat.. The vet. felt that if I were to give The CMPK to her and she didn't need it that it could give her milk fever. I am going to watch her close and at least will have it ready if needed. I do think the yogurt and the brobios did help her yesterday though. Don't know if it helped settle the stomach or if it helped raise her calcium up? Either way I'm glad she's doing much better. I did swing by walmart and get some vit. C and sunflower seeds for them also. Thanks all.

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I don't know enough to contradict your vet (except the markup on that tube of CMPK sounds very steep) just wanted to say that I'm glad she looks better. I think you're the expert here - you're with her and notice the slight changes. The new pasture was probably the culprit. Personally if she were mine- regardless of what my vet told me, if I saw her go off the grain again, I'd give her the CMPK. It is supposed to be balanced proportionately- don't know how it could induce milk fever. Can someone explain?

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The vet. felt that if I were to give The CMPK to her and she didn't need it that it could give her milk fever. :no:

Geeze Tango, I think you and everyone here knows enough to say "What an idiot" :(

I am so glad she is perking up. Vicki

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

LOL :) just checkin :)

5. Goatlover

Goatlover Member

Hi,
    I understand your concern, I have problem with my Daisy.
    She will kid in 8 weeks and she lays around a lot because of her hooves
    (long time copper deficiency). I hope she gets better after she kids.
    Good luck with your gals and I am so glad she feels better.
    Diana :)