Doe unable to stand??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Jul 21, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I have Carmel who is a 3yo reg american saanen and is unable to stand. I purchased her in may from a lady and when I met the woman midway of a 6 1/2 drive she told me that the doe walked paddlefooted. :grump: I'd already driven 3 1/2 hrs and so said no big deal as long as I could breed with her as it wasn't that bad. Well apparently it was as she is now unable to stand at all. She just doesn't seem to know what to do with her legs. She looks like a bat crawling. So pitiful. The vet said to give her BOSE in case of selenium and he gave her a shot in the vein of a cortisone mixture for swelling and pain. So I'm out to do that. She has been wormed and everything has no temp, eats (VERY little but does some) is alert and kinda sways her head and trembles a lot and grinds her teeth. Even if you hold her up she can't use her legs. Any ideas? I'm gonna try the BOSE thing and she's also loosing weight. She has minerals, hay and water and grain within mouths reach at this time but I just offer the minerals once a day as there's no more room in front of her. She's in a pen on her own where no one can bug her and pester her with fly spray on to help with the flies. Would love input. I am most positive she has CAE but can it debilitate one this badly?? It's almost like she has severe autism or something by how she acts. I'm thinking she'll have to be put down as I just hate it for her but want to give her all the help I can. You know how it is...... :shrug:

2. Ramblin Acres

Ramblin Acres Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your goat.CAE can debiltate this fast.Is she bred?If she is loosing weight and is unable to stand then I would think that the most humane thing you can do is too end her suffering.Did you have her tested for CAE?

3. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

4. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Jessi, Hello there. I'm so sorry that you are having trouble like this. It is awful. We just lost a doe to listeriosis so I feel your pain. I would suggest that you never buy anything from this woman again. She was sneaky to allow you to drive so far to purchase a problematic goat without forwarning you. I would call her immediately and tell her that this "paddle-leg" problem now has her debilitated and ask for your money back. Tell her she is welcome to have the goat back. You may end up having to put her down if it is CAE. With CAE, she might show swelling in the front knees. She would be likely to get congestion in her lungs and possibly pneumonia. Other than that, she'll just waste away. Call the woman and tell her. That was only two months ago. If she has been in goats for very long, she should have known better than to sell you this goat. Good to see you on here. The babies are doing well. They are getting really big!! We just trimmed their hooves and tagged their ears today. They look great!! The puppy is gone though. She was using them for chew toys and I had some pretty torn up ears before it was all said and done. She was a great puppy for a pet but obviously we couldn't keep her around. I know someone will love her though. She was a smart and sweet puppy. Well, good to see you on here!! I'll catch you later. I wish you luck on Caramel. Poor girl. I hate to see them suffer like that. One more thought...have you checked her hooves carefully? Are they in good shape? We've been dealing with hoof rot here and have had a few not wanting to get up. Of course, they aren't "bat crawling" but it is worth a look. Take care.

5. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

the teeth grinding means the doe is in pain. Are her hooves trimmed so she can stand on them? I agree with the rest that the owner should have put her down... NOT sold her to anyone. Youu should get your money back. I assume you have her isolated from other livestock. Be sure to clean out where she was laying. Sorry but she needs to be put down.

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Id put her down. Shes suffering and you shouldnt breed an animal with serious health problems anyway. Just one opinion

7. allenslabs

The vet called and said to give her till tuesday and if nothing changes he says put her down. All her bloodwork came back fine and he sugar was fine if not a little high. He said I need to get an autopsy done to see what exactly I've dealt with. He's sending blood off to a lab to check for CAE which I'm sure she has. But that way I'll have it to show that lady I bought her from. I'm just so disappointed for her and hate to admit defeat that I can't help fix this poor pitiful animal. I try to help all animals and it kills me when I can't. I had a calf last winter I couldn't fix and that still bothers me and that was over a year ago! So...... poor Carmel is gonna have to go on and live with Ferdinand the little sickly angus steer. Poor things.
    Thanks all for all your help. I'll keep you posted!!

8. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. :(

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I am so sorry......please let us know what happens.

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like your doe has something neurological going on. Have you given her a shot of thiamin? It can't hurt and may help her. I'd also give some Banamine for the pain. If she doesn't get better, put her down. Sorry you bought a sick doe. Shame on that woman for selling her.

11. allenslabs

I gave her vit b complex. I don't have any banamine. I'll let you know but now I'm just debating autopsy or no as I really don't know if it's worth it to spend another $50 on top of the already large I'm sure vet bill I've already got as I'm really feeling it's an extreme case of CAE. What do ya'll think?

12. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Autopsies don't always tell the exact cause of death in goats - especially something you are charged only $50 for. Unless this is a recurring problem in your herd, I, personally wouldn't waste the money, especially if the vet has already tested for CAE. I've never heard of CAE manifesting itself in what sounds like a neurological disorder in an adult goats. When baby kids get it, they can go down in the back legs. With adult goats who go arthritic, their knees swell and they limp. I think this disabled goat has something wrong on top of what is causing her to be "paddlefooted". Now, if more of your goats come down with something similar, I'd definately vote for more testing and autopsy.
    I have a baby goat who has been limping off and on for over a month. Last week I noticed her leg was swollen, so I took her to the vet. The vet tested the fluid and determined an infection was present. He didn't know if she had a small fracture or a joint that was infected. He said he could Xray - for prognosis purposes only - the treatment would be the same. He wouldn't set the leg if there was a fracture near the shoulder. The treatment is a lengthy course of antibiotics. Since the Xrays wouldn't determine the course of treatment, I opted not to spend $65 on an Xray. If the goat can walk on all four legs again, she'll go to a dairy. If not, she'll either go for meat or to my neighbor as a pet and never be bred.
    IMO, if this doe pulls through, I wouldn't breed a lame goat.