Doe trying to breed buck ??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tiffann4k, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

:haha: well I tried to breed two english lops today and the buck did his job ( well at least I think he did, he only fell half way and didnt have any squeals but I have my fingers crossed ) so I let him try that a few times and then all of a sudden the doe got on him and started going, at first I freaked thinking maybe somehow she was a he but I pulled her out and checked and it was a doe ( I just got her on Friday and have had mix ups in the past :haha: :) so my question is, what was up with that ? I have never had any of my other rabbits do that...was she just trying to give him a taste of his own medicine so to speak ?? LOL!!

2. dugan

dugan Well-Known Member

Very common when doe is very receptive.

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

...or when she wants to show him who is the boss ;)

4. Tiffann4k

Well I am hoping she took, he is very shy and will not breed if I am watching so I have to walk out of the room, but I did notice he slumped to the side but like I said there was no squeeling or falling all the way off so I have my fingers crossed.

When I checked her she was more than ready to be bred, just petting her would bring her butt up way in the air :haha:

:haha: birdie poo, that is what I thought at first.....I have a feeling she is going to be a great doe

5. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

i think the poor buck is scared...scared to death! what does that doe think shes doing? thats not her role! now hes going to need counseling and therapy of some sort to convince him that hes ok!
    are there support groups for bucks that have been "violated"...?
    these things i need to know!!!!
    any help?

6. Tiffann4k

:haha: Brian, ...... He is a very shy buck so he may need therapy...hopefully he can cope with all this

7. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

LOL, oh gosh, Dugan is right, it is pretty common. Generally, when the does are like that, they tended to be my best producers and mothers, they seem to have all their natural instincts exaggerated! :)

8. Tiffann4k

Wonderful! I just hope my buck will turn out as good :haha:

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

maybe hes not a shy buck , he just needs to build a relationship before he gets into bed, you know , maybe he needs the security of a commitment before he feels ready for that kind of step in a relationship
    obviously your doe wwas a take charge kind of gal , you know not just telling him about what her needs were in the relationship , but showing him as well
    you know they say males are more visual
    perhaps her explanations were falling on deaf ears ....

next time with your buck , try some Barry White, maybe a scented candle

i assume your buck is younger?
    i have several bucks , and each is different , Simon my siamese satin buck is doen in 5 minutes, he wants nothing but the job, give him a doe and hes all business,
    another oneof my NZW, hes a bit slower, he likes to sniff and chase the doe around the cage first ( a little foreplay, you know) another one mounts the doe headfirst every time ( were not gonna go there)
    each animal is different :D
    Beth

10. Tiffann4k

:haha: Beth, I will have to try that

He is actually older than her but never been "proven" maybe his shyness has something to do with it. He will be 2 in May so I am hoping he is not too old.
    Ya he usually starts out with the head first and then figures it out. I had another buck that just couldnt figure out so after 6 months of trying we got rid of him, I hope that wont happen with this buck, I paid good money for him :haha: