Doe rejects babies??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ticklersgoats, Jun 10, 2006.

1. ticklersgoats

ticklersgoats Well-Known Member

Another one of my does gave birth today, about an hour ago i was down there when she had them but then i left so she could clean them and have quiet time with them. But when i went down there bout 1/2 hour ago they were still covered in slim and all wet so i took a towel and dried off there faces and figured id let her do the rest (they got up and walked around and everything).. but so far she has not licked them that much or nursed them at all and i tired making one nurse but they didn't like that..So my question is how long should i wait before i no for sure if she is taking care of them right..(im nervous about leaving them out there tonight because it is supose to get below freezing and there wet..so any advice u can offer me is greatly apriciated thank you sooo much.

2. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

With my limited knowledge... I would probably dry them well, then milk the doe to get some colostrum to bottle feed to the kids. If she doesn't take to mothering, then milk her and bottle feed them. I've read that some does are not good mothers. I've also read that sometimes you can bottle feed a kid for a few days, then the doe may take the kid when she smells her scent on them from her milk.

If she is a first time mother, she might be confused and scared. She might just need you to pet her and make her relax so the kids can nurse.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come in and give you some good advice. I'm just learning myself so the above information may or may not be any good.

3. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I just had a first timer give birth today and she acted like she didn't know what to do. We had to dry the baby, tie the cord and cut it, and then we had to hold the mama and hold the baby up to nurse. After getting the baby latched on about 4 times the mama finally started licking it and now they are doing fine. I was worried right at first.

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

we had a first time doe who had a large single who didnt act like she wanted anything to do whith him, i didnt want a bottle baby so i locked her and the kid up in a stall and held her for the kid to nurse every few hours for a day or two then she gave in and accepted the fact that she would have this thing following her around takeing milk from her all the time, she went on to finnish raiseing this single wethir that was HUGE

5. ticklersgoats

oo ok i finally got her to let them nurse and i got them all dried off and now i think there doing ok..i think i just might of over reacted a little.. :shrug: this whole baby thing is driving me crazy..lol well thank you all soo much and ill keep checking on her tonight.

Raftercat5 likes this.
  6. KSALguy

take a deep breth, poor you a cup of Coffey or Gin which ever, and relax, it will be ok
    as long as she is confined to a stall and cant wonder off from the kids, and you hold her once or twice for them to know where food comes from they wont leave her alone till they get it, just check now and then to be sure

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS on the babies! GLad to hear that the mama is starting to be a better mama! Good luck with them. BYe.

8. ticklersgoats

if i give the babys some whole cows milk from the store in a bottle will they still nurse from mom?...i just dont think they are nursing enough.

9. KSALguy

newborns dont nurse alot, if you think they are hungry hold the doe and let them nurse,
    dont mix cows milk into their diet now, it could screw them up, when they are older sometimes you can use cows milk if you really needed to bottle feed them but right now just hold the doe so they can eat, they will figure it out, but chances are they are getting enough, its just that enough just isnt that much,

10. ticklersgoats

thank you, i guess ill just keep trying to hold her so they nurse and see what happens.
    Thanks for all the help.

11. ticklersgoats

ok....I was just out there and tried getting the kids to nurse and they would suck for a couple of seconds, so i tried milking her (she is a pygmy) and i couldnt get anything to come out, and the teats are chucnky not like my other does who are smooth and soft. Does this mean she has mastius(spl) and if so what do i do??
    ugh i dunno about this baby stuff lol it is driving me nuts.
    Thank you so much.

12. KSALguy

if their bellys are not full and they are nursing, you need to work her udder over really good, milk her out till something comes and if its lumpy keep going
    she may have mastitis trying to set in,
    eather way she need to get things flowing both for her and their sake,
    massage her udder really well and try and get things to flow, if the teets are just blocked and once they start flowing its normal then put thekids on, if it comes out all weird keep going till its smooth, you may need to milk some off of a differint doe for a while for the kids to drink untill you get her udder fixed

13. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

take a warm clothe, and rub the teats and udderwith it. then milk her. she as what is known as aplug in her teats. most do. now milk her until you get it out. the colustrum will be rather thick. the babies need this first milk to servive. stay with it. yo ucan get it .if her udder and teatsstart feeling hard, andsome do,it is because the colustrum is turning into a cheese like thing.sojust keep milking. and try ti get it is a cup or something, so yo ucan give it to the little ones.

14. ticklersgoats

ok thank you i got one side to come out pretty good(im not a very good milker :) ) the other side is still pretty hard but im trying. thank you all so much for all ure help.