Doe Pee & other questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hoovershounds, Jan 2, 2007.

1. hoovershounds

hoovershounds Well-Known Member

I have a pregnant dairy doe that continually pees in front of me. She has always done this & I was wondering why? Also, her roommate is a little pygmy doe that we have not had very long. I noticed the other day that when she is eating the grain, she will act choked up & then hack out her very dry cud. What could be causing this?
    Amy

2. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Does she go from reclining to standing when you show up? My goats all poop and pee when they stand up. Maybe its like birds pooping before they fly so they can "lighten the load".

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I imagines she pees all the time and you only SEE it when she pees in front of you

4. hoovershounds

No, It is more like I will walk up behind her when she is in the yard and she will squat & pee then walk off. This is not just an occasional thing. It is every time I walk up behind her. I almost never see the other goat pee and for as often as this happens, I have to feel that it is intentional.
    Amy

5. christij

christij Well-Known Member

Mine always seem to be gong when I am out with them - I just thought it was a natural thing. I would much rather see them going then not - that way I know that everything is a-okay!

6. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

Yep, mine always go right in front of me too. I sit down on my bucket, they'll walk over, pee, and I'll move over. It must be a sign of love XD

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If you haven't had the pygmy doe very long perhaps it something as simple as a change of feed. Or is she having to hang her neck over something to eat that is simply choking her, pressing to tight on her throat? Putting her head through something to eat that she presses her throat on? If it's not the choking thing, than I would give her probiotics several times a day until she gets used to the feed change. Did you worm her after you purchased her? Vicki

8. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

All my does pee whenever they see me. They will also squat if they find themselves someplace new (as soon as they get outside the pen, or turned out to a different pasture, etc...). :shrug:

Jennifer

9. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Well, I actually LIKE the fact that my does pee in front of me - because I'm going to milk them, and it's nice not to have to worry about them peeing in the bucket! Much nicer than milking a cow and having to dodge a gallon or so and keep the milk clean too.

At the moment I'm not milking, but it's soooo nice to have that out of the way when I do milk. :)

10. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Sounds like the peeing thing is normal. Maybe it is a sign of respect in goat language. :bow:

11. hoovershounds

Well, glad to see that the pee thing is probably normal. The pygmy seems to always have something going on with her so I gusse I am just expecting something wrong with the other. I have only had the pygmy about a month & have no Idea what she was feed before she came her. What are probiotics? She had pinkeye when I first got her & we had the vet treat her. He gave her some milky looking stuff orally & I had assumed it was wormer but after talking to him today, I dont think so. But that conversation is in another post titled colds & worming.
    Thanks
    Amy

12. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You can purchase probiotics in all catalogs. A good one is to call jeffers 1-800-jeffers ask them to send you their pet (dogs and cats etc..) equine (horses but has lots of good vitamins and mineral kind of things for goats we use in it) and livestock which has your goat stuff in it. Probios is just one brand name of probiotics. They populate the gut with good benefical bacteria, keep refridgerated. You can purchase everything in it except vet scripts, and it saves you soo much money over local feed stores or vets for OTC products! Like at TSC yesterday, 10 syringes and needles in a package cost the same as a whole case of needles ordered from Jeffers!!! Vicki