doe not walking

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jacksun, Jan 1, 2005.

1. jacksun

jacksun Active Member

new to goats i have 10 on 7 acres have one this morning young doe that is having problems walking her back legs are extended and her belly seems hard i gave her some soda and set out a box for the others they all seem to eat some my sister set out some old hay and i think this might be the problem any suggestions?

2. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

1st thing I would suggest is to get rid of the old hay if there is any trace of mold. I have just brought my 2nd doe thru Listeriosis/Polio with in the past year. It is not a pretty site. This really dont sound like what my goats had that is caused by mold and other things. I had a goat once that was down on his knees that I had just got and it was his Hooves. They where is awful shape. Got them all trimmed up and he was fine. There could be bloat going on. Have you done any research.
    Tina

3. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I have had this occur on several occasions (even when dam was healthy) with newborns. Never had it occur with young or adult goats.

Our area is deficient in sellenium; and when this is given, the legs get stronger and are used appropriately. You might check the sellemium in your area. If deficient, start using "Bo-Se" in the muscles. (Bo-Se is only obtained from a vet.)