doe not nursing all kits?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by mch2crzy, Mar 23, 2005.

1. mch2crzy

mch2crzy New Member

hi i am new here and urgently need some advice i am a pet owner not a breeder i have 6 baby bunnies born 3-20-05 at around 6:30 i separated male and female after a closer look it seems like two of them are not being nursed because they are not as fat as the others and keep trying to get out of the nest but the doe pays them no mind i have no idea what to do next this was an unexpected litter i did not even know she was pregnant i would hate to see thm die i already have found homes for 5 and we were going to keep one so if they die someone is out a pet any advice woukd be welcome thank you

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Does normally only nure at night, and because the milk is so nutritional, they may only nurse 1 time.

Just as in any littler, there may be runts. Being that they are 2 days old, you may be worring over nothing. I would let them be, myself, but if you feel compelled to interfere, there is formula you can give them, however, if you are inexperienced, you may do more harm than good.

3. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

You seperated the babies ? Or do you mean the parents ?

4. mch2crzy

mch2crzy New Member

i think should clarify i was reaaly worried this morning and rereading my post i see it is a bit scatterbrained :) i separted the parents because i read they could get pregnant again right away. i quickly went online and reaf as much as i could find about newborn bunnies. i breed dogs so i know better than to supplement formula for mom unless its crucial. i am sad to say that since i first posted this i have lost 3 babies i think they starved because there is one kit that looks just huge in comparison to the other 2 surviving they were all the same size when she had them. is it normal for some to get so big so fast? both parents are small and from different breeders so no inbreeding. i am not trying to sound dumb about all this but 2 of the 3 remaning are also looking thin should i interfere i have kitten formula on hand but how do i know when is time? i know i have a ton of questions i just don't want tomake the same mistake twice . again any advice or criticizm would be welcome i'd like to know thanks

5. birdie_poo

First, I want to give you kudos for being so concerned...some people pay no attention to thier animals. I know instantly if something is wrong, because I am that intimately familiar with them.

I'm sorry your observations were correct. When they go in to feed, they don't stop to make sure every kit is eating...they sit in there a few minutes, then hop out. If the fat one is eating, that is a good sign...and could mean, because it is so much bigger, it will continue to dominate the nipples...which you should check, by the way. If she is only producing milk in 1-2, that could be the reason the others aren't eating.

6. birdie_poo

They can have problems, too, like mastitis (sp?). I really don't know what to do, because I've not had the problem. Other than supplemental feeds, like you did today, on the lap, I don't know what to suggest. I've even done that myself, but have better luck if I breed a few does at the same time, that way, if I get a problem doe, I can put the kits in with the other does to rear.

I hope it all works out for you.