Doe losing patches of hair

Discussion in 'Goats' started by All country, Apr 10, 2005.

1. All country

All country Well-Known Member

We have 5 does that were not bred last fall. We are keeping them on pasture and they have a small shelter there. Do to some unexpected family emergencies these past few weeks we haven't been giving them the attention they are used to. They were getting their feeding and watering, but that was about it.
    Today oldest daughter & I went out and was giving them some fussing over checking hooves, coats, & giving treats. We noticed that one of them is losing patches of hair, down to bare skin. She does not act sick in any way. She's active, running and playing with the rest, eating well, gums look OK, etc.. We've never had a lice problem with our goats before,but I know of others who have, so the first thing we did was look for bugs. We couldn't really tell anything with all the shedding, so we dusted them just to be safe. Is there anything else I should look for?

2. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

one of my goats has a bare patch above her nose.
    she got it from rubbing it against a tree to scratch.

3. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Ther e is a good chance she has lice. If you or your daughter has good eye sight you can see the little orange buggers crawling on them. They look like little orange dandruff, but they move. You can use a powder or some people say Ivomec injectable given orally helps.

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I have 2 Togg does that shed their entire winter coats within a day or two. They end up bald except for the spine, legs and head. I was told this was an interaction between the hormones that tell them to shed and the last month of gestation hormones.
    The other two does shed normally over a period of several weeks.

5. All country

All country Well-Known Member

Thank You for your replies. They all had what we thought was an excess amount of "dandruff" on them. It was hard to tell if it was moving or not because of wind the here, everything was moving. We have never noticed a dandruff problem on any of our goats before. We did go ahead and dust them with a delousing powder for livestock. We also dusted their shelter.

We bring home a buckling & wether in a few weeks as soon as they are weaned off their dams. We have inspected the herd and health records were shown from the people we are purchasing them from. They have a very clean healthy herd. We don't want to bring them home and introduce them to a problem. They of course will be separated from the does till time to breed in the fall, but do you think that this will still be something to be concerned about then? We have had goats for at least the past 10 years now, but I have had absolutely no experience with lice at all. They are usually pretty pampered ladies around here. Cannot figure out how this could have happened as we don't let anyone else's animals around our girls. We are very careful about introducing someone new to the group.

6. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

It could be nutritional related? Do they have access to a proper loose mineral 24/7? Even then I have known cases where the water contains a mineral that blocks the copper from goats diets, etc. That is why I had my water tested for levels.