doe kid returned for being too loud

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatmarm, Oct 11, 2006.

1. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Well, I used to be "Nubian folk" but now raise LaManchas because I could not tolerate the noise....well, that's one reason. Being in heat will make the doe holler, as you well know, not having access to a shelter when they are used to one, all the factors you already mention and already know. These people are new to goats and may never adjust. You can keep trying to please them or give up and take the goats back, they may never be pleased. :)

3. goatmarm

4. marcir

marcir Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed to admit that I had to return a perfectly lovely Nubian doe after 11 days because of her continuous braying. We tried everything: special treats, wether for companionship, long grooming sessions. She was happiest when one of us was in the pen with her, otherwise, she would bawl 16 hours straight, no joke! A neighbor half a mile away commented on her songs. She was so happy to get back to her herd and has behaved wonderfully ever since according to her owner. It's hard when you've been rejected by your goat!
    Marci in Nor California

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

My own lovely Bluegrass is a case like this. We 'borrowed' her for more milk from the breeder. My husband was not amused - he called her the 'velociraptor'. She did not have a baa, maa, or a bray - he was right, she sounded like a dinosaur! Anyway, it was made quite clear she was going back home when the lactation was through. We had to go out of town and our goat babysitter flaked out on us two days before we left - I had to load all three girls and take them to Marana for the breeder to watch while we were gone. We mentioned to our sons that Blue wouldn't be coming back - we had two big boys in tears over their 'favorite' goat........can you guess how many goats made the return trip? lol

Blue screeched so loud and long she finally lost her voice, never to be found again. At least, that's what I think happened. Maybe she just said her piece and was done!

I have a theory that these nubians are gabby little girls as youngsters - I have five jr.'rs right now that remind me of preteen girls - drama, drama, drama! lol Everything is Irrational Inquirer front page news. Which I love, since I have three sons. Anyway, each year they mature a bit more - you can see more of how they are really going to be once they hit about two. Each year after that just gets better.

My other theory is that it is the moving. It is traumatic. I don't have any noise issues with my older, settled does, or my youngsters that are born here. Someone may yell when coming into season, but I see that as helpful, and it is soon remedied by a 'date'.

Niki

6. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I have 2 nubian/sanaan cross does and one has the sanaan traits and the other has the nubian traits. Both have kidded and the one with the nubian traits her kid is exactly like her. They scream and holler constantly, the others are very quiet. Its weird, but she and her kid are so sweet I just put up with the bellowing. She's not my favorite, but runs a close second.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Does this woman not even have some shelter the goats can run into when out in the pasture? This would concern me and I think may be an element into the doe's unhappiness. Has she been vocal the whole time she's been there? It sounds like more than just a heat thing, especially if she's a sensitive type. If it were me, I'd take back the goats and arrange a kid(s) for next spring. Could she wait that long? That way they could adjust from the getgo. And if she doesn't have a shelter, even a lean-to or something would be advised.

8. goatmarm

9. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

I am a long time Nubian raiser and love the noisy things. I think you should take back both does until the lady has a shelter for them. It really "gets my goat" when people do not provide the basic things to keep a goat happy and healthy. I have refused to sell to folks who do not have a fenced area, shelter, hay and water for my precious goats. I would rather see them butchered and eaten than to be treated like a toy or a yard ornament.
    Oh yes I have had Nubians returned due to their loud baaing. Oh my noisiest goat was a Toggenburg!!! :shrug:

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Amen

11. goatmarm

12. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to try and explain this situation..I mean..sounds to me like you have tried every which way to sell them an animal that would please them. After all...you did tell them that the La Manche would be quieter...but no..it was turned down for no ears. Now the Nubie for being a mouth.

I swear..sometimes the harder you try to find a good home...the harder it is. Last year I had this same kind of a deal...only they would NOT listen about how to raise them. Some guy with sheep or llamas or something...NO GOATS .. was telling them how to raise the girls. Sooooooooooooo...they got too fat...wouldn't settle the second time around...on and on and on. I get so tired of people wanting animals..I'm talking new people to goats here..and then not taking advice or ignoring how to feed, shelter, etc. I told my husband I would just as soon sell them through the sale barn.

Its about the same darned thing as city people moving to the country and then suing their farmer neighbors for dust, smell, etc. Its frustrating.

I do believe the lack of a shelter is spurring this little gal on. My goats are in and out of their shelters 24/7...its just what they like to do. And put her coming into heat..and the serenade is on...lol!!

My hope is that you will NOT beat yourself up over this. Hey..maybe its easier to just take the girls back and be done with it. Less stress for you and less stress for them.

I think I know what you are going through and it can wear you down. Thankfully though...there were three different parties on this board that bought goats...and every single one of them have been great "mommas". I wish all of them could go to people like that..alas..it doesn't happen that way.

Good luck!

13. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

I agree with Sher, there is no sense in trying to explain the situation, the woman is weird! No shelter for a milk goat? Weird!
    I have returned a doe for being too loud. It was a saanen who screamed day and night! And she had shelter and pleanty of food! I took her back and bought my quiet nubian who hums occasionally.