Doe in labor

Discussion in 'Goats' started by vtfarma, Oct 18, 2006.

1. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Well this is our first delivery (for goats anyway) and it looks like she is close. We have been lurking - reading things here and not saying all that much. She is pushing the male away - he is still in the enclosure with her. She went crazy when we tried to move her to the inside of the barn without having him around and she would have none of it. She wanted HER pen and HER buddy. She has a huge bag, is laying tight into her corner now. Pacing, pooping and uncomfortable. The vulva area looks ready and her ligaments seem ready. They are really not that different from our cows on delivery it appears.

Any last words of advice for a newbie goat great grandma (They are our kids - and of course they are in school, now if she could just wait until tomorrow when they are off!) Thanks, Laurie

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I'd get the male out of her enclosure in spite of her objections. Can he be put where she can see and hear him, without being together?

Ruth

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

It is good to dip the cords in iodine and give mom warm water with molasses in it right after delivery.

Good luck :)
    Christy

4. vtfarma

Will the ram hurt the babies? Is that why they need to be out. He was very protective of her this am when I was in there. Making sure I was not going to hurt her... I know they came to us together and have been together since May so it is difficult for her to be in there with any of the others or even alone. She paces and screams.

I will get the molasses out and have that ready. I am very allergic to iodine so that is not even in our house but will have dh p/u some on way home. I know you should do it. I just stopped keeping it around because people tend to gravitate to disinfecting with that and I don't use it on anyone in my home. Maybe blukote would work? I hate iodine... it puts me into shock!

I figure she will wait to deliver until about 3 am in the driving rain ;)

5. vtfarma

One other thought on this is that we lost a long time resident of our house this Sunday - our rotti passed away surrounded by the family and our other pets. One of our ACDs howled as she died. This will be a good change for all of us. THanks for the help everyone.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

He may not mean to hurt her or the baby, but nervous animals can do damage. I wouldn't take the chance.

Ruth

7. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

From what I have heard a buck can and will kill kids and when labor starts the buck will just bother the doe and become a pain in the a**. I would remove him ASAP if they where my goats. I like to keep my does who are going into labor in a area just by them selves as it seems to help them when kidding starts (no nosy neighbors or possible threats to the kids).

Is the male intact or a wether? I am assuming intact?

MotherClucker

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I too would get that buck out of there. When there are strange things happening and hormones floating around, bucks are unpredictable creatures. He could hurt her, the kids and/or you. Maybe you could put him on the other side of a cattle panel or something where she can see him, but he isn't with her??
    Also, if you leave them running together after she has her kids, he can breed her as early as a week after kidding which is not really good for the doe. And if she has a doe kid, that doe kid can come into heat and get bred as early as 2 months old(not good!!), so it would be best to keep the buck separated and get a companion for him. A wether makes a cheap companion for him so that he doesn't get frustrated and lonely.
    Wishing you the best!! :)

9. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

First of all vtfarma, I am sorry to hear about you roiit. It is so hard to lose a animals of any sort. It is amazing how the other animals around them are, they are so depressed that it makes you hurt worse. We had a dog get hit by a car and the other dog went CRAZY. Thank the good lord the dog that was hit is still with us, (several hundred dollars to fix him up).
    I have to agree with everyone else, You have to remove the buck from the doe. I have seen bucks go crazy once they doe hollers (if she does) while she is in labor, and once the babies are born abd they start to yell, the bucks go crazy. Now that is not to say yours would do that but I would not take that chance.
    Please let us know how and when you become a grandparent. Please send photo's. I would guess she will go really really soon.

10. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

My first kidding experience was last spring. It was wonderful and horrifying all at once! Everything went well. I decided to keep another doe in with the mom and her babies. Everything was fine until the 4th day when the "aunt" accidentally knocked over a mineral bucket (I should have removed that) and killed one of the babies. My new rule is that moms and babies are in a seperate spot with out anything that could fall over on them.

If you put the buck in spot were they can still see eachother, everything will be fine.

Good luck! I am so excited for you!
    Jennifer

11. Sweet Goats

how are you doing today? Any babies yet?

12. vtfarma

Everything was going along yesterday morning - she was obviously uncomfortable, stamping her hooves and pacing. Well about 2 or 3 o'clock she just relaxed. It settled down apparently. She has milk dripping though and it seems to be picking up again. I am moving the ram today - will let him stay on the outside where they can see each other. We tried this yesterday and she cried so soulfully I felt guilty and put him back but he is still moving today.

13. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Please do make sure you get him out of there-our buck last year was trying to breed a doe-as she had FEET coming out! Talk about an obnoxious MALE--birth hormones can smell like heat-and be quite harmful to the doe and kids! If she is down and pushing hard-and you don't see a bubble and feet..please don't let her go too long w/out checking to make sure kid-kids-are lined up correctly. Dripping milk sounds like real close! Good luck! :)

14. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

How is she, any kids yet? You keep saying "ram", do you mean buck, or do you actually have a ram and a nanny? If hes a ram, they can not make viable offspring right? Thats an interesting thought. What is that called? Geep or shoat.
    Oh, reguardless, when she starts to goo, I would deffinately isolate her no matter how much she complains, she wont care much about him when the REAL contractions start. Plus, I can just about guarantee that if they ARE "inseperable" he WILL get upset when the labor kicks in.
    GOOD LUCK!

15. vtfarma

No he is a buck - see the brain and the newbie to goats know what I am thinking about saying but it does not compute.

She is alone in the pen now and has settled down. She seems to almost be relieved that she has it to herself... with the exception of the viewing audience of chickens, turkeys, cows and us! She is still skiddish around us a little. She is markedly better than when she first came to us but still a little hesitant. We have all worked to get her comfortable with us. She is still eating, seems to be having contractions (light ones though). It is supposed to rain tonite so I am assuming that I will be in the rain while I observe and she will be nice and dry in her enclosure. I know with the cows they never had it when we were waiting, only when we gave up and stopped watching.

Thanks to all for the help. We have another one due to deliver but not until January/February time frame. I am so looking forward to the kids! I can't wait.

16. Sweet Goats

You can count on that. I swear tat some of my goats hear me say "forget it she is NEVER going to have this baby". They smerk and decide OK its time :p those little boogers. By the way you are telling it, I would say it is going to be in a day. do you have the Molasses ready, along with the iodine, towels, and Nutri drench ready? Good luck. Just relax and it will al be over before you know it. :)

17. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

That is funny--I read this board enough to know that my doe's first sign of labor meant she was weeks away from delivering. I was not going to be tricked by a bunch of yelling and mucus! I even told her so! Oh honey, I told her, you have weeks to go...Checking the ligaments didn't help at all. She delivered a few hours after she started yelling. :rolleyes: I missed the first baby and actually when I ran to get towels, I found 2 more on the ground in their sacs.

Good luck--Jennifer

18. vtfarma

Yeah, We have 2 babies - a male and female as of right now. :dance: She just barely had them so we will see if she is going to have more. Pictures will be coming today or tomorrow.

Oh, first signs for us were on October 18 and today if the 26th so I guess it wasn't imminent labor after all.

19. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Oh boy! Congrats on your new little ones! I am so glad all went well. I am waiting of four does to decide its time too. Is there anything more precious than those new little lives?

Way to go!

20. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

My bucks, even the mean one that I had a long time ago, never hurt laboring does. What they do, especially in a large herd situation, it to defend the laboring doe from other does who come along and try to butt her out of the way while she is trying to push the kid out, or possible predators.

Congrats on the new babies! Have you milked the dam out yet?

edited to add: actually, don't milk her all the way out, just make sure the kids are nursing if they're to be dam raised. If you're bottling them, milk her out all the way. She should be milked almost all the way out tonight though, just make sure the kids have nursed, wash the goop off her udder, and give her some nice warm water with 1/4 cup of molasses and cideer vinegar. It will give her strength.