Doe Hurting Kits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by wingdwolf56, Jun 13, 2017.

1. wingdwolf56

wingdwolf56 Member

Hello All,
    One of our does had her first litter of 10 kits on June 1. She built her nest about 4-5 days before having them and until 3 days ago, she was doing what we thought was a good job with them. 3 days ago we found a dead kit with what appeared to be a bite mark or deep scratch on it's back. Yesterday, we found another kits with the same cut and it was paralyzed. I put it down. Today we have two paralyzed kits and the doe doesn't want to have anything to do with the rest. We removed the kits for 4 hours, hoping the doe would feed them when we put them back in her cage but she just ignores them. We are going to remove them for a longer period and see what happens. It seems that she only hurts the kits that jump out of the nesting box.
    Any advice?
    Thanks

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Are there any predators that can get to the nest? Any disturbances that could have upset the doe?
    Rabbits don't care for their young like cats and dogs. The doe leaves the nest alone except for feeding the young. This happens only once or twice a day, early morning and late evening usually.
    If the kits have their eyes open it is the usual time for them to start getting out of the nest and exploring.

3. wingdwolf56

wingdwolf56 Member

Thank you for the reply. I changed the nesting box to something larger. It seems to have helped. I think the kits were getting injured because there wasn't enough room in the box. All seems ok for now.

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

My nesting boxes are 10' wide, 20" front to back 4" high on the front tapered to 8" high about mid way with a resting platform on the top back 1/2 for her. They work Good.