Doe... How old is to old?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by hilltop homestead, Jul 26, 2017.

1. hilltop homestead

hilltop homestead Member

My Cali doe that I thought was bred... due today (31) and showing no signs. Was understanding from previous owner that she had littered before. Come to find out he had never gotten her to take using two different bucks in over a years time. She is all of 2 and I don't know how much more. Should I try again after weather cools off?

2. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

if you are breeding for meat? even just family meat, and not wanting to keep rabbits for Pets? I mean PETS! To play with and hold and caress and love all the time like many do? I would consider a pot of burrito meat? hehe If she has truely been bred three or four times and not kindled? I would not try again? If she is being bred without observation? and just assumed bred? then I would Breed her personally! Put her in with a proven buck! watch the breeding take place so you know for a fact she was bred! then I would breed her again between 8 and ten hours later!to insure that the eggs receive the necessary sperm after they drop! then wait 31 days! At this point she will either have pulled hair at 14 days and had a false pregnancy? or kindle at 31 days? or nothing? if nothing? Burrito meat! because at this point you will know she was bred! and did not conceive at least four times? ergo she may never take? So she will either be a chaste pet! or food? de ision is yours? This is the only way I know to make a solid knowing decision? based on fact rather than second hand supposition? If you want something done and done properly? hehe the way YOU WANT? then you MUST do it yourself! these are my opinions and I wish you the best! ray, enjoy the rabbits they are wonderful kind fluffy bundles of love!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017

3. hilltop homestead

hilltop homestead Member

Thanks Ray....my thoughts also after what's I found out. Been awhile since I've done rabbits and wanted more information. I ALWAYS watch them.. this doe tried to remove parts from my buck the second time. No, she IS NOT pet material...and Yes, we're trying to breed for meat. Both buck and doe are at good weight and though not proven, my buck is jr but knows his stuff.