doe growling?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by HilltopDaisy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

This morning when I fed the goats, my doe was making a growling/snoring sound. She did it a couple times as I was getting their food together, stopped while she ate, then did it again while she did her normal, bossy, butting of the wethers. She looks great, clear eyes and nose, hearty appetite, bratty as always. No change in her diet. Didn't get her temp, but I will try when I go back out. I'm here alone so it will be iffy. It's been brutally cold here, well below zero for the past few nights, but their shed is fairly cozy, maybe not warm, but dry and free of drafts. Any thoughts?, or will it be dependant on her temp?

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Is she maybe just imitating the dog? One of my goats "barks" sometimes while the whole herd is out playing. They go racing around while he barks.

- I never said my critters were normal.

3. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

We have a LaMancha that growls!

She started out growling at our TINY 5 lb terrier, cuz she seems to hate all dogs. Instead of avoiding dogs, she goes after them with her head lowered growling at them. Well, it's a cross between a growl and an oink!!

Now, she seems to like her growl so she uses it on any goat that gets in her space. :haha: It's pretty funny to hear!

4. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple of my goats will make a sound (I never thought of calling it a growl) when one of the other goats tries to eat from their hay. It is usually followed by a firm head butt. :)

5. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had Emily for 2 months and I've never heard her do this before. It seemed as though she was controlling it, not like a cough. She did it a half-dozen times and stopped. I'm still pretty nervous when something happens for the first time :confused: , so thanks everyone!

6. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

My queen doe hollers at the other does if they come and get in her space while she is eating, it is kind of like a....Blahhhhh ahhhh BLAHHHHHH!!!! :haha:

7. Debi

Debi Active Member

I've got several that grunt and snort like pigs while eating. One sounds like my husband snoring. The two bossy ones holler and bark and blow rasperries at anyone who dares come near them while eating. One good bark and everyone scatters.

I use the blowing rasperries to keep from getting crowded at feeding time. Just blow thru your lips and even the aggressive ones back off. Not always but most times.

Debi
    Kaufman TX