doe excepting one kid but not the other

Discussion in 'Goats' started by reneeearle, Mar 13, 2005.

1. reneeearle

reneeearle Well-Known Member

we had two babies last night. supposed to be full alpine. mom is all black, dad is black with white socks, and streaks on his face. the first baby was a buck, all black, but floppy ears. the other, a doe, looks just like daddy. the problem, mom doesn't seem to want anything to do with the buck. I wanted to keep the babies with mom for a couple of weeks. mom is very mean to this buck. she bites him, and pushes him away. we have to hold mom down so baby can eat. has anyone had this happen before? what to do?
    thanks,
    renee

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Do you have a milkstand that you milk this doe on? If so, put her up on the stand with some grain to eat and set the baby up on the stand to nurse. Maybe after a few days she would take the baby. Do you milk this doe? You could milk her down and get some milk for the little buck and bottle feed if nothing else. Otherwise, once he has gotten his colostrom from the dam just put him on store bought whole milk. He'll do fine. They do need the colostrom though from Mom one way or another. Long floppy ears.......Hmmmm.......sounds like a Nubian in the woodshed to me. :p oops...

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you can try the milk stand, and that just might work. alot of people do that, or do as I do, bring the babies in and bottle feed. your not doing CAE preventive?just wondering.
    I would bottle feed both, that way you know that they are both getting the right anounts, does will do that, is this her first kidding? first timers do this a lot.

4. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

My little yearling doe, Coffee, was a twin who was regected by her mother. I went ahead and bottle fed her and within a few weeks it became very apparent WHY mom had regected her: she was not developmentally normal. She had coordination problems and was disoriented when trying to listen for and go to the herd. She had funny "quirks" like an autistic child- self-soothing actions such as rocking herself back and forth, and standing still and screaming at the top of her lungs for no apparent reason. I know this sounds awful, but she actually has been steadily improving over time and now at 1.5 yrs old, she is romping and playing and scratching and eating and interacting with her cousin-doeling perfectly normally.

The moral is, I guess, that SOMETIMES, the doe has an instict to not care for the kid; that they know the kid won't be "right"..... And then of course there are plenty of does who are just darn nasty to one just because they want to....(sigh.....the trials of motherhood.....;-)

-Jill

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I have an opinion-------however because I'm not a 'goat person' it may not be anything with validity--------
    so..........if it is totally out in left field.........you can know that I just happened to wander into the wrong barn here---------and I promise to not be bothersome in the future...........

Is it possible that while awaiting the arrival of the second baby-------the first baby was handled by the 'humans'----------and so when second baby arrived-----------second baby 'smelled' like mama expected her to-----------but first baby had too much 'human scent' about it and so was rejected by mama?

Some mother rabbits will do that--------reject the one that has been touched by the human..............so if you touch one---you should touch them all.

6. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi renee,

We also generally find that the rejection of a kid has a physical reason. As one poster said, there was a problem with the kid that didn't become apparent to them until later. Also, could there be a reason on the mothers side such as not producing enough milk or that nursing was hurting the dam for some reason? The first born is usually a little bigger and stronger, plus he is a buck. He might be a little more aggressive in his nursing which could have a negative response if the dam was hurting. The reason for the rejection, if it can be determined at this time, would let you know what to do about it. The fact that the doe is mean to the kid may make it necessary to bottle feed this one.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.