Doe drinking own milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by squirrelgirl, May 11, 2006.

1. squirrelgirl

squirrelgirl Active Member

I have a doe that I milked her out (waiting a week after birth of kid to start drinking milk) and set the bucket over to get something else and of course she went and checked out the bucket and before I knew it she was drinking all the milk and looking for more. Has anyone else had this to happen? Is this normal or a what? Does it mean she needs something? Our others have never acted interested.

2. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

I had a goat (Elizabeth) that like to drink milk. We came to a compromise, She got the whey from cheese making and I got the cheese.

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

You could try giving her a calcium drench, i have heard that does that drink milk are craving calcium. I don't know though, they might just like it :shrug:

4. Alma

Alma Active Member

My goat Louise last year even started to nurse on Herself!!! I was milking her and she was producing really well, no problems and it was just a weird habit of suckling herself, a bit strange. (She was milked out well) She then went out to pasture with a three month old when I thought I dried her off , but when she came home about four months later (we have a beautiful Island that is a pasture, perfect for goats where there's water, grass and lots of trees and brouse and great sheltered areas in the thick trees and no predators) She was in really great shape still producing milk for both the kid (not hers) and YES Herself!!! I just left her alone and didn't give her anything special other than hay , water and free to brouse and she went into heat, was bred to Boer Buck and gave birth to triplets and she was still feeding FOUR!!! She seems now tho after about two weeks of feeding them that she has decided she is no longer interested in her own milk, no stress for me and everyone is fine. So I guess even if they want some milk- its supposed to be the best milk for everyone so why not for themselves. :cool:

5. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

My doe Petunia drinks straight from the pail if you don't guard it. She definately isn't craving calcium, its the taste, and the milk mustache, she likes. Her daughter Daisy was more flexible and nursed herself. She was a virgin milker and we didn't even know if for (probably) a long time. I think its a genetic craving for the taste or something, no one else wants to drink the milk in the herd. We had to tape Daisy's teats when she was still flexible to nurse herself. Thank goodness she grew out of that. Now they get the left overs and the milk when someone sticks their foot in the bucket. I just hope they don't catch on and start sticking their feet in the bucket on purpose!