Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a goat have her babies about 2 hours ago. We got them dried off, between her and me. She licked them and took care of them that way, but now she doesn't want to be near them. She goes to the other end of the pen. She talks to them, but just doesn't seem to be wanting to have them close to her. What do I do about that? It's super cold here right now.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Oh Dunroven I feel for you because of the weather YUCK! How are you keeping the babies warm? They need their colostrum so I would MAKE her stand..if I had a milking stachion I would use that. Since I don't I would put a collar on her and tie her to the wall. :( Did you offer her some warm water?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Is she is an FF? you're going to have to help her out. Get her into a stall with those babies for a couple days for bonding. Have the kids gotten anything to eat yet?
please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is her second kidding. She wants to go eat and drink and just leaves them standing.

We have straw huts built and they go inside those and have their babies. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to put her in there and close her in it, after I get some milk into those babies.

No haven't given her any warm water yet, but will do that soon. She has plenty of milk, and like I said, she has had babies before. The huts have 2 bales to the back against a cement wall, and then 4 bales on each side, to give her room to move. They are about 2 feet apart on the inside. She has room to lay down and stand upright and her body heat keeps them warm. The mother that had her babies 2 days ago has put her babies clear to the back in one corner and she is doing just great with them (the picture I had from before).

This kind of puzzles me with this mother. I will try to get her bonded here. Course wouldn't you know, this is my time to be working. I have a couple of people here who are helping me, but they are completely inexperienced, so they are not much good other than to yell and say we need help! LOLOL They are learning though, and I know that has to happen, but I sure don't want to lose these two.

Also, the mother's belly is still big. I thought truly she was going to have triplets, but she just had twins. I don't find another baby in there by bouncing her, and she doesn't act like she has anymore to have, so I don't know about this. I'm going to keep an eye on her though.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Put them in a pen just large enough for her to turn around and leave them for a day or two to bond.

Helping dry them off can cause more problems than it solves, The doe needs the hormones in the fluids, and it helps her accept their scent

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
She might be acting odd because it's so dang cold. Maybe her instincts to hold on to all her reserves is a bit stronger than "kid care". Just a thought. I know we are in the same area "kind of" we are at 3 degrees and heading down...-17 forecast for tomorrow night.
Don't forget to worm her tomorrow. Sorry, I don't remember what Gretta's belly did after she had the twins.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Hmm..have your helpers gather up those kids & head for shelter. Mom will follow especially if she sees those babies being taken, let her sniff them enroute. Then lock her in there.
If there is any doubt about bonding if its still around if not soon, rub afterbirth on the babies. Espeically on their heads & hinies.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are already in a shelter, one of those straw huts I mentioned, just not closed in. I am going back out later, in about 15 minutes, I'm working a while and going out a while. They have been out every 15 minutes checking on her and the babies.

We don't dry the babies completely, just the ears and the feet. I lost ears and feet to frostbite last year, and that's just not going to happen again if I can help it. She gets the rest, all she wants, but like Mineslon said, it is cold here and now it is snowing again. We are below zero temps. They can't just lay there while she licks them. I wish my barn were warmer, but I have no way to warm it, other than the straw huts, and they do stay very warm in there.

Last check, she was going back with her babies. We have an area that has the huts in them (4 of them) and each goat chooses her own hut to have the babies in. Then the front is open during the day for them to walk out and the babies to start getting used to each other. The floor is also covered with straw, and they have hay and water right in front of each of their huts, so they don't have to go too far, but it is also far enough away that the babies won't struggle over and fall in. We make sure they get a good big drink before being put in for the night and then they are closed up, in the dark with the babies. Last year I had to get into one of the huts to help a baby be born, and it was nice and toasty in there, in weather like we are having right now.

Yep, Minelson, gonna worm her tomorrow. Got one to do tonight too.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Some of my does act like this if there is a kid still in there. They seem to know something is wrong, because they don't push, they just wait for me to rearange the kid, then they push.
You are *sure* there are no more kids? Did you go in at all?? If I am in *any* doubt, I wash up and gently insert my hand. Has saved kids and does in the past.....

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I didn't go in, but I really think she is through. She has fed the little girl now and its just the little boy. I put some afterbirth on his head again and she got busy and cleaned him up. I held him up and fed him, but he just doesn't act now like he can actually do it. We have them blocked in and will go back out a little later. I'll check her, but she has a string of afterbirth coming out, so I was thinking I best not mess with that.

I did get some milk in a baby bottle and if he hasn't eaten when we go back out and isn't up, I will feed him from the bottle and try to get her to feed him again.

You think that even with that afterbirth I should still try to go in?

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
No I didn't go in, but I really think she is through. She has fed the little girl now and its just the little boy. I put some afterbirth on his head again and she got busy and cleaned him up. I held him up and fed him, but he just doesn't act now like he can actually do it. We have them blocked in and will go back out a little later. I'll check her, but she has a string of afterbirth coming out, so I was thinking I best not mess with that.

I did get some milk in a baby bottle and if he hasn't eaten when we go back out and isn't up, I will feed him from the bottle and try to get her to feed him again.

You think that even with that afterbirth I should still try to go in?
Yes, I sure would. I can never tell by bouncing (maybe just need practice) but if I'm not sure, I always go in and check.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I went in, no babies, and guess what? The little boy was hiding in the corner. We picked him up and gave him some immune support tincture, and when he was passed over to me, I checked him out and his belly was full and he was wagging that little tail!!!!!!!

I think mom and babies are going to do just fine! I sure appreciate your help everyone. I do have some colostrum brought in now too, and will collect some more tomorrow, hopefullywhen it is a little warmer out there, in case we need it for other babies.

There WILL be pictures tomorrow! These are named Boots and Blondie!

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
We don't dry the babies completely, just the ears and the feet. I lost ears and feet to frostbite last year, and that's just not going to happen again if I can help it.
I keep a hair dryer in the barn for drying/warming, although we dont normally get as cold here

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Good news! Glad you went ahead and checked inside. Its not hard and you can rest easy, as can the doe. Much better than finding a very sick doe in the morning from a retained kid.
Look forward to pictures.:)

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Yipppeee! I can't wait to see the pictures :) Hopefully this stupid Arctic Blast will blast on out of here on Friday like they are predicting.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I had a doe do the same thing a few years back, also in frigid weather. I was very concerned but by the second day she was feeding them. Sounds like your girl will be fine too.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Ok Dunroven....sounds like we just have to make it through one more night (and the worse) with this frozen weather. How is everyone doing today?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I'm glad she's taken to the kids.

Another trick to get her to accept them is to bring a strange dog in the barn -not too close though. Her maternal instincts will kick in, and quick. After she gets protective, remove the dog.
HF

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, hopefully all's well out there. Gonna be checking in a few minutes. The monitor is really quiet tonight, so I'm hoping no babies during this night. We are supposed to be at a wind chill of -35 tonight, and then -17 tomorrow night.

See my post about Boots above!

Wouldn't you know, our furnace went out today, and they had to order the part, so we are without a furnace tonight. We have a space heater and we turn the kitchen stove on for a little while and then turn it off again.

I am staying up all night or rather we are, alternating, to make sure the goats and the water pipes do okay.

We have about 3 more real bad nights in store here according to the weather guesser. I just hope they get our furnace fixed tomorrow. It is dangnation cold here tonight!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts