Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small lionhead doe that was bred 26 days ago. Today i moved her into what i was going to use as the kit cage. My plan was to build and attach a nest box to the end of it on day 28...therefore i am not prepared. I know I should have done it earlier but i didnt.

I went out to check on everyone and turn off the lights and she was starting to build a nest, mouth was stuffed with hay. What I did was I put a board across the one end of the cage and stuffed it with hay...will this do? I dont have anything else...

Is this normal behavoir on day 26?? Should i be really worried?? There is no sign of fur pulling at this stage. This is only my 3rd or 4th litter so im no expert yet!

Oh, thought i would mention, shes a first time mom!

Thanks,

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's probably okay - if she is a first time mom then she is probably anxious to do it right and give her babies lots of warmth! I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
She's probably fine, but if you are worried, you could use a cardboard carton of appropriate size as an emergency nestbox. Just cut down the height on one end so the doe can get in. You will need to punch a couple of holes and wire it to the cage side so it won't tip.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think your right,

she dosnt look like she is going to be having them, but ya never know. Ill get the nest box built ASAP....i think shes fine...but hey, it gives her somthing to do all night.

Ill keep you all informed.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Built a HORRIBLE nest, although she did pull lots of fur, hoping she dose a better job when the actual time comes.

No popples yet, should be here in the next few days.

Taking what both of you said im just thinking shes a bit nervous...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, Jesse, how horrible can a rabbit nest be, as long as she pulls plenty of fur?
Not much worse then this!!! A couple clumps of fur and a pile of hay, it looked unorganized:nono: Oh well, as long as the babies will be warm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts