Doe BRED or incomplete breeding??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I just saw my 6 month old Boer buck try to breed my Nubian doe, Sabine, who is the tallest doe I have and he was having trouble reaching. However, he did penetrate and throw his head back but she didn't arch her back and then acted as though he didn't get the job done. She immediately began chasing after him again. I wonder if he didn't penetrate deep enough or does it even matter? I imagine he'll try again later. If not, I have a couple more months.

2. Milk n' Honey

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

It could be he didn't really get her, but some does don't do the "hunchy-butt"(thats what my little brother calls it :p ). You might have one of those. :shrug:

4. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

It is hard to tell sometimes.....I would say he MIGHT have gotten her but my guess is he didn't....doesn't mean he won't get her but I would say right then he probably didn't.

All my gals all have always done the hunchy butt thing :shrug: . But i don't have near as many does as Emily so she has seen I am sure much more varity than I have lol.

I guess you will find out if she kids or not huh? Sorry I coulnd't help more.

MotherClucker

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I myself don't trust breedings where the doe doesn't do the accordian scrunch. But not to say it can't take otherwise. I have also found some bucks under 7 months don't always get the technique down correctly right away. So he might need a few tries.

6. Milk n' Honey

We have seen him breed several other does but this is the tallest one. I saw him penetrate her but I just don't know. Hopefully, he'll still breed her again. She's in with him now. That is true...I'll know in like 5 months!! LOL!!

7. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Just want to say good luck on your little guy and gal. He will get it done sooner or later..

Good Luck.

8. ozark_jewels

Yeah, I've had several of those does who don't hunchy butt but deliver twins 5 months later. The buck goes through his acrobatics and the doe just looks back like "you done yet". :p I like the ones who scrunch. Its so much easier to tell!!

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I always feel much better about the breeding if I see the doe do the "hunchy-butt". But I have had plenty of does deliver without another breeding and without obvious signs of a "good breeding". Just write every thing down and keep watching for signs of heat. My does do not always cycle like they are supposed to on a regular pattern, they have been cycling every 14 days, some every 24 days. So I just keep a close eye and look under their tails every day for changes and i watch for changes in behavior.

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Okay, in my more than a year on this forum, and in all the numerous books I've read, I've never heard of the "hunchy-butt, accordian pleat" thing!!!!!

What are you all talking about?!?

Please explain, it sounds like it could be important!

11. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

This behavior happens immediately after buck penetration. The doe hunches and scrunches her body, bringing her rear end under, as though trying to bring the ejaculate into her. (hope that's not too graphic!) I've always found it a great sign the breeding took.

12. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

My two big girls did not do the "hunchy-butt" (love it!) last year when they were bred, and they produced lovely kids. My Alpine yearling does it every now and then, all by herself. :shrug: The Nigerians seem to do it quite consistently when bred.

13. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Well, I've only bred 2 so far...I know the Nubian did seem to duck her butt in a bit when he was done---I thought maybe she was just still in position or something. Is that what you mean? I'll have to look for it next time...

Just when I thought I had heard everything...

14. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

The "Hunhcy-butt" is when, immediately after penetration, the doe slightly rasies her back like a halloween cat or a shrimp, tucks her hindquarters in and displays and almost orgasmic type behavior. I take it as a sign that her body was in the correct stage of her cycle for her to be truly receptive to breeding and that the buck did his job nicely, as well. It does not always occur during breeding, but when i see it, I just feel in my gut that the breeding was more successful although I have no data to back this up. I did make notes regarding this behavior on this year's breeding calendar though, so perhaps I will find a pattern.

15. ozark_jewels

Yeah, they scrunch their bodies up and usually move forward a few paces. Some does scrunch so much that they are about a third of their usual length.....it can be quite hilarious.... :)
    And then there are the does who act like nothing at all happened. :shrug:

16. pookshollow

Sooo, what does it mean when the doe does it and there is no buck anywhere near her? Rich fantasy life? :p Sara was doing it when she was about 4 months old.

17. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

It is similar in appearance to the stance a doe gets when she is letting down her milk or when a doeling's udder is manipulated and she "pretends" to let down her milk. Perhaps that is what "Sara" was doing. Just a thought.

18. ozark_jewels

In young kids, the scrunching movement is usually mimicing a bucks movements when he is exhibiting "himself". Young does, young bucks, wethers, and sometimes grown does do this....... :) As to the "why"?? Your guess is as good as mine. :rolleyes:

19. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I'm guessing fantasy life. HAHA!! Maybe she caught mom and dad one night and didn't know that was naughty behavior!!! HAHA!!

20. pookshollow

Hmmm, she must have been awfully young then, apparently she was at auction when she was a week old! I don't think she was mimicking anyone - there weren't any bucks around when she first starting doing it. Ah, well, one of those weird goat things, I guess! :p