Doe aborted today/still pregnant?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jan in CO, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Our four year old Togg doe, Ali, aborted one fetus today. She wasn't due to kid until Feb 5th or so. Two years ago, this same doe had a C section, and we lost triplets. Last year, she was able to deliver twins normally. So, I'm wondering what's up with her this time. Is is possible, or has anyone had a doe go on to deliver other kids after aborting or delivering one early like this, or can I rest assured that she is finished for this year? Guess I didn't explain that well, just wondering if she can still be carrying other kids at this time? No bagging up, she isn't filling with milk or anything, and seems ok, except that she is sticking close to the nest she made to have the one early kid. She's the alpha doe in this herd, so I don't think it was caused by being butted by another doe. Any ideas out there? Thanks, and hope the rest of everyone's kidding goes well. Jan in Co

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't think so.. usually the hormones involved in expelling kids would cause the body to expell all the kids.. If this isn't the case, I sure hope someone chimes in and gives you better news..
    as for the abortion.. I wish I knew what to tell you there, or even direct you to a source of information, but alas, I'm new to goaties myself and my brain has gone on permanent vaccation... :no:
    How is she doing today??

3. Jan in CO

No more signs of any other kids since yesterday, and Ali is up and around at least. Not too interested in food, which is unlike her. Just a nibble here and there. She's a bit shaky, but it was pretty chilly out, so I'm just watching her closely today. Don't know what else to do for her, she knows she has kidded, as she's making those little mewing noises when she goes back to check the area where she had the kid. Poor Ali! Thanks for the response, Jan in Co

4. Stacy Adams

Offer her some warm water with a bit of molassas in it.. that always perks my does up.. and maybe a bit (1/4 cup) of warm bran mash or some warm oatmeal if you don't have the bran.. but definately the warm water..
    during the winter months, yea, here in Texas, I'll put some Apple-Dex in the goaties water. It's a horse electrolite, and they love the apple flavor.. and it keeps them drinking well during a time when they don't drink as much as they do during the summer...
    I know when my doe lost her doeling this past spring, she was depressed for a while.. give her lots of love, and you'll know when she's feeling better when she gets back to her ornary ways..
    Have a happy Thanksgiving.. !

5. Jan in CO

Oh, Duh! Thanks Stacy, I didn't even think of giving her the usual after kidding mollasses water! Don't know why, I just didn't. Thanks for the reminder! She is much better today, not moping around as much, and back to eating. Poor thing, she is always such a good mother, I feel badly for her. She's even taken one of her daughter's kids, the buckling that the daughter didn't take care of and fed him after she had the C section. I didn't think she would be ok with that, but she was fine, and did well. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Jan in Co

6. Stacy Adams

We all forget the little things when it involves our own.. :confused: but I'm glad she's feeling better.. :)

7. UdderlySaanens

UdderlySaanens Member

My veterinarian said it is possible for a goat to abort one baby and still cary the other(s) to term. He has seen this happen. I give my goats Honey instead of molasses after they give birth, they seem to like it more.

8. Stacy Adams

Hey Jan, how's she doing today??

9. Jan in CO

She's back to her old bossy self, and other than a little discharge, you wouldn't know anything had happened! Sure hope she is still carrying a kid or kids, she's such a good mother! Thanks, Jan in Co

10. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Bless her heart. I had a chihuahua that had a puppy born dead and she was SOOO Depressed. She would go gather up the girls stuffed animals and her toys and put them in her box. She would lay her head over on them and whine. This went on for about 3 days and then she finally started getting over it. She would come sit with me in my chair for about a minute or two and then jump down and spin round and round and bark and run to her back to her box. :waa: Hope your girl is doing good.

11. feycat

feycat Well-Known Member

Sheesh, it's times like that when you here people say, "Oh it's just an animal; it has no feelings." I just wanna slap 'em.

I'm sorry for both your losses but I'm glad the girls are getting better!