Dodge Caravan Noise

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by backwoods, Feb 24, 2005.

1. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Our 2002 Dodge Caravan is making a thumping noise under the passenger side floor.Sounds like something hitting the floor.Checked and found nothing loose.Car doctor said swaybar link was loose,replaced it.That wasn't it.Any ideas would be appreciated.It is a 3.3 V-6 auto.
    Thanks,
    Backwoods

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Need a little tighter info on this one, when does the thumping sound occure? Driving? Dirt road or paved? At idle or stop lights? Only at certain speeds? Can a bare foot person in that seat feel a vibration?

3. backwoods

Thanks Moopups,

Driving on rough roads,no vibes through floor,no other times.Getting worse over time.

Backwoods

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would be looking at shock absorber mountings; exhause system next. You may have to jack up the wheel and use something to pry with to find the slack that is causeing the rattle.

5. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

On our Windstar the thumping was caused by the emergency brake cable thumping against one of the rear struts. It wouldn't do it all the time but when it did it was noticable.

6. ex mek

ex mek Member

Check the shockabsorber for leaks they make a horable hammering noise when they have lost oil

7. backwoods

Thanks everyone it seems it may be the shocks.Thats the only thing left to check.I didn't know they had oil in them.

Backwoods

8. PBunyan

PBunyan New Member

I suppose you live on or used rough roads day to day as I do. All sorts of things turn loose under vehicles with a REAL country life. I found one of the first things to go is the exhaust system. Give it a shake and see if it moves at all. you may not have the strength to make it "bump" but a 150+ hp engine combined with 4000+ lbs of vehicle and a bumpy road can make lots of seemingly tight components bump the floorboard. Also check the shocks and struts or springs. Bushing go out in those fast on rough roads. Does it have a removable trailer hitch? Could your motor mounts be worn? Lots to look at huh? Hope ya find the bugger!

PBunyon

9. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Top strut bushings/bearings are common problems on the Caravan. I'd guess that this is your problem.

To check your motor mounts - put your foot on the brake and go through the gears at idle - if you hear a clunking, you most likely have a motor mount problem.

cheers,

10. backwoods

Many thanks to everyone.Turns out it was the struts,took them off and you could push them in without to much trouble with your hand.Dodge company said they were good for only about 60,000 or 70,000 miles.Guess I won't be buying another Dodge Caravan.Struts cost $88 to $129 plus tax.Labor is 2 hours each side plus front allignment.Total,more than $500.Hope it last another 3 years.

Backwoods