Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found some classified documents at Mike Pence's. Sure sounds like it is time for a better way to keep track
of classified documents if everyone has them. Doesn't matter which party they are in, I can't believe documents
like that are allowed to simply be taken anywhere. Shouldn't there be a secure place for these things? Isn't there?

· Registered
7,997 Posts
He must take classified documents seriously too.

• Haha
Reactions: mreynolds

· Registered
7,997 Posts
Found some classified documents at Mike Pence's. Sure sounds like it is time for a better way to keep track
of classified documents if everyone has them. Doesn't matter which party they are in, I can't believe documents
like that are allowed to simply be taken anywhere. Shouldn't there be a secure place for these things? Isn't there?
Well, it's simple really. They're special and we aren't. Some low rank pissant writes a note that is indecipherable, just a reminder to shred something, but they accidentally take that little reminder home and someone finds out, they're screwed..... But Hillary, Joe, Donnie, they're all special. Because that's how fledgling dictatorships work.

Reactions: Kiamichi Kid

· Registered
9,470 Posts
Makes me wonder what a classified document is. A list of home addresses for sending party invites or thank you cards, is probably a classified document. Probably not the nuclear launch codes that people keep tossing about.

· Registered
10,414 Posts
Makes me wonder what a classified document is. A list of home addresses for sending party invites or thank you cards, is probably a classified document. Probably not the nuclear launch codes that people keep tossing about.
That’s actually true. 100%.

Totally innocuous things like a Daily Press Briefing end up as Classified. There may not be a single sentence in the document that isn’t available publicly, but it becomes “classified” because of when and how it was presented to the President.

It would not surprise me one bit to find out that State dinner menus start out as classified because they see an existential risk in bad actors finding out what the president is going to be eating a few days from now.

· Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe all documents should be treated like library books. Kept in a secure location and checked out. Then they could at least know who had them last. Yeah, that would work. :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,996 Posts
Words matter. The phrase I've heard when referring to the documents Pence had is that they may contain "sensitive" information. There has been no mention of the documents being marked as secret.

The Biden documents seem to have been marked secret and SCI secret (secure compartmented information)... which is the most secret.

· Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nitpicking. Classified documents, secret, sci, doesn't matter. Biden, Trump, Pence, I don't care who they are or what party they are in. There should be more accountability as to where they are and who has them. Otherwise just send them out over the internet and have done with it.

· Registered
52 Posts
I agree on cleaning up their act on keeping classified material in their house or elsewhere in their possession. Having worked a lot of aerospace I can say "classified" documents could be anything...from memos between managers to documents of very little consequence to the country's safety. Little stuff,.

· Registered
22,203 Posts
Maybe all documents should be treated like library books. Kept in a secure location and checked out. Then they could at least know who had them last. Yeah, that would work. :rolleyes:
From what Congressmen are saying, they do have that. They go to a secure area to view documents and someone at the door asks them if they are 'clean' (meaning have no documents) as they leave. Sounds like either the door person is not doing the job or politicians are committing perjury when they leave. Has to be the door guy's fault because we know politicians don't lie.

· Premium Member
34,824 Posts
An easy fix would be to ban paper documents and require everything to be on computers. Then they would be perfectly safe forever.
Yes, put it all on computers. What could go wrong with that?

· Registered
4,590 Posts
A couple points to be considered before anyone get stheir shorts in a bunch--

The "classifcstion system" for "state secrets" is not codified legislation. It's a system used internally by the Executive Branch to facilitate the handling of info. It's not a "crime" to mishandle it internally. It's only a crime if it's shared with those who aren't supposed to have it (ie- seditious or treasonous actions).

The classifiction system is probably over-indulgent to magnify the importance of those who do the classifying. Can we possibly have THAT many secrets that would bring down the empire if Goldfinger or C.H.A.O.S. agents got it?

As an activity solely of the exectutive branch, it's ultimatley The President's responsilbility, in "the buck stops here" sense, so if Trump says "it's declassifeid," it's declassifed. Period. It's a job delegated to underlings the same way the president doesn't walk around the /Eaat Wing every AM making sure the sugar bowl is full at all the coffee nooks in the break rooms.

Now that Pence has become a thrid potential spy in this farce, it confirms my suspicions that all these guys, or, more to the point, their staffs are somewhat cavalier in how these docuents are handled. The investigation should not be to expose wrong doing by iindividuals, but to see if the sytem itself is potentially dangerous (probably not) and needs to be addressed.

· Registered
17,105 Posts
Now that Pence has become a thrid potential spy in this farce, it confirms my suspicions that all these guys, or, more to the point, their staffs are somewhat cavalier in how these docuents are handled. The investigation should not be to expose wrong doing by iindividuals, but to see if the sytem itself is potentially dangerous (probably not) and needs to be addressed.
...their staffs are acting with negligence.

· Registered
228 Posts
It's funny when it was just a Trump free for all, it was Lock Him Up..............but now that these others are involved, it's let's change the system. Granted the system does need changing apparently.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts