Doctor visit today

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Wendy, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Well, it was definitely a UTI. Got a prescription for that. Sugar was also noted in sample so she checked it. It was 202! He said he wants me to check my levels in the mornings once I am off my meds a couple of days. That might affect the level. My sugar was a little high with my last pregnancy, but was kept in control by diet. I admit, I have lapsed on watching what I eat. He told me to watch sweets, but I seldom eat sweets. The hardest thing for me will be the starches. Potatoes, bread, pasta, etc.. I am going to make an effort to cut back on those & try to get a walk in. I hope to try to find a treadmill. I can not get a nice brisk walk if I have to take the kids along with me. Hubby leaves when it's dark & gets home at dark, so I can't walk while he watches them. When pregnant my fasting levels in the morning were always excellent. I hope I can get a handle on this before needing meds. They do a free check a few times a year. He told me to get my blood drawn next time they do the free clinic. That way he will be able to see what my levels have been.

Would appreciate any ideas on getting this under control before I need meds. I know I need to lose some weight. I am just not as active over the winter & I know that's bad.

2. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

How about sticking the kids in the yard and walking the perimeter of the house or the length of the driveway repeatadly? I have a full unfinished basement and last winter when it was so cold I would walk or sprint the length of it while the washer was going.

Make yourself eat your veggies first, then some protein this will fill you up before you get to the starches.

3. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

try to avoid the starches, they are baaad and also my favorite!!! I'm like you i could care less about the sweets, my downfall is starch like potatoes, noodles.. eat more fruits and veggies..
    proteins a big thing too, I eat alot of chicken..
    what about excercise videos? richard simmons? hah I've tried his videos. i'm sure they work.
    good luck.

4. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Maybe buy a treadmill at a yard sale or thrift shop. Plan your meals ahead and write down everything you eat and review each night.

5. townmouse

townmouse Well-Known Member

Wendy, I'm doing Walk Away the Pounds DVD's (Leslie Sansone)

To me there is nothing dumber than trotting around one's living room, it is so hard for me to do (psychologically). But I have to face the fact that I don't live in a small town anymore, and I don't walk for transportation anymore. So I am not near so svelte anymore LOL. I bought two DVD's, each with 3 different workouts, to add a little variety.

Also T-Tapp ( www.t-tapp.com ) has a move called "hoe-downs" that is supposed to dramatically lower blood sugar. So after a supper that includes potatoes or whatever, you do hoe-downs and solve the problem.

6. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

You've already listed the main things you need to do to get the blood sugar under control. Cut out the whites - rice, pasta, potatoes, instead use whole grains and think complex carbs, not simple. The more refined a starch product, the worse it is for spiking your blood sugar.

Exercise is the key - it burns up those carbs and lowers blood sugar, and it helps with getting the weight down. Being overweight is the 2nd most common precursor to type 2 or adult onset diabetes (first being heredity).

Getting a treadmill is a good idea, as long as you use it for more than a clothesrack (my downfall with exercise equipment). For some no-cost, no-equipment exercises, try good ol' calesthetics (hmm, not sure I spelled that right?) with your kids. They tend to love doing jumping jacks (or trying, which is more entertaining), and the stretches where you get down on the floor facing each other, legs spread as wide as you can, clasp hands with your partner and "row" back and forward. There are exercise videos at the library, too, that you can do alone or with the kids.

Doing them together becomes less work and more fun, and it's great for your kids' health as well. You are modeling good healthy behavior, which gives them a better chance of growing up thin and less prone to diabetes.