Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well went to the Doctor. She is saying I need to see a Surgeon about getting Hip Replacement. I asked her when I needed to do this? Whenever I'm ready. I decided if I can wait it will be after first of the year.

Talked to her about me all of a sudden getting a Gut. She says where I was operated on it weakened my Muscles, plus I'm just getting older. Said I can't really exercise I might consider Tai Chi.

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Let me pass on some info - I'm 80 near 81 - I was starting to feel stiff and sore when I crawled under the truck to change the oil or when I was working in the garden - I started taking Osteo Bi-Flex for my joints and it has produced wonders - the stiffness and soreness has disappeared after taking it for a couple weeks - it really helped me - it might help you with your hip -

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doctor Said I Was Getting Old....... it would be strange if he said you were getting younger
One could only Hope :buds: :sing:

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok if it comes to Hip Replacement how long for recovery?

big rockpile

·
Scotties rule!
1,617 Posts
Ok if it comes to Hip Replacement how long for recovery?

big rockpile

Depends. My second hip went well. Driving in 2 weeks, got a new puppy at 3 weeks, and back to work at 5 weeks (mostly desk job). The first one was horrible, surgeon screwed up and damaged nerves. It took a couple years to get sort of get back to normal. But life will never be the same. Was driving at 3 weeks, only because it was my left leg he screwed up, otherwise it would have been months before I had enough movement in the leg to drive. Got a new puppy at 17 months and was scared that I wouldn't be able to handle it. Was back to work on crutches at 8 weeks, only because my boss bent some rules.

There is no one answer.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
DH had his right hip replaced last year. He's getting his left hip done next Wed. He's only 53. The first week is the roughest. Takes about 6-8 weeks recovery. The problem is when you get it done, your new hip makes you a bit lopsided. You are taller on that side. He's had no problems with the new one and is actually looking forward to getting the second one done and being out of pain. He has taken joint supplements for about 15 years now. They HAVE helped, but you get to a point where they don't help anymore. He has a lot of osteoarthritis. I'm concerned about when he really gets old.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Dad just had a hip replacement, it was two or three months before he was a hundred percent pain free and ready to roll. He says it wasn't that bad and he wished he'd done it sooner.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't been to a doctor for 35 years. If that is their point of view I am going to still keep away from them.
But seriously, it is too late for us older members, but younger ones, get exercising those joints, keep them moving for a flexible "third life"
Hey I was leaning to a Wheelchair 15 years ago, my wife said fine you really want to be down go for it. I've got a Friend was same shape as me at the same time. He went for the Wheelchair, now is in far worse shape than me.

They wanted to amputate my Left Leg 25 years ago. Still have it.

I use to Jog 30+ miles a week, lift weights and was active in Tai Quan Do, plus worked my Tail off.

I have Genetic problems in one Leg no amount of exercise can help this.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm concerned because little over a year ago I had Gall Bladder Surgery, because of my other health problems and how bad it was. Took me a year to recover.

big rockpile

Reactions: bigjon

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Where hip replacement doesn't involve playing with organs, unless it gets infected you shouldn't have nearly as hard a time with it.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me pass on some info - I'm 80 near 81 - I was starting to feel stiff and sore when I crawled under the truck to change the oil or when I was working in the garden - I started taking Osteo Bi-Flex for my joints and it has produced wonders - the stiffness and soreness has disappeared after taking it for a couple weeks - it really helped me - it might help you with your hip -
Ok I just started on Osteo Bi-Flex how long before I should see results?

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
There are TWO types of hip surgery...one is an overnight (at most) stay. I *think* it's called an anterior hip replacement (or maybe resurfacing?)

Mon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts