Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of figure on basing my meals around either Chinese or meat with rice. And, 4 months out of the year I will have fresh garden vegetables.

Most of my meat is frozen, as I save money by shopping the sales. I do have some canned meat, a couple of buckets of rice, and a few hens for eggs. I have a little wood for the fireplace. So I am reasonably set for a recession or unemployment, or a power failure that only lasts 4 days, not so well set up for TEOTWAWKI.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I make up menu for the month.
Then cook like normal.
Prep meals where I can get most meals out of each.
for instance:
cooked beef roast, potatoes, carrots, celery, corn on cob.
next day or two, have stew made up leftovers.
Later remake again as pot pies.

·
Super Moderator
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back when we lost power in an ice storm when the kids were small I sure did appreciate the chickens. I was not into prepping then, but we had fresh eggs every morning, with melted cheese on them. I cooked them in the fireplace.

I SHOULD have done what I have heard they do in Louisiana, and made a big stew out of everything in the fridge and the upstairs freezer: it could have been heated a couple of times a day for lunch and for dinner, and it was cold enough inside to act as a refrigerator! But, I had not heard of that back then. It was later that I started buying a variety of canned meat for any future occurences, as tuna more than once a day is not very appealing.

·
Wood Nymph / Toxophilite
1,615 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean the "theme". But I'm going to say that we don't have a theme. Everything we store for preps follows the adage: "store what you eat/use and eat/use what you store".

Everything we have for preps, with very few exceptions, is stuff I'm in and out of in our everyday cooking. We do keep some MRE's and those awful calorie bars but they are in the 72 hour kit. I do keep some flavored drink packets (think Kool aid) but that is to make electrolyte drinks if we need them. Beyond that our prepper pantry looks just like our shopping cart would.

Like Tiffany, I am moving as much of our food to canned as I am able - trying to move away from relying on our freezers while the house is still grid tied.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
meat/fish/dairy, fruits and veggies, and a few carbs. Fresh when in season or at the store, frozen/canned/dried when fresh not available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We live off grid so everything is canned. I can meet, chicken all garden produce, all fruits, berries and then "meals" like chili, sloppy Joes, stew, etc. We also solar dehydrator and dry can.

·
Super Moderator
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically, it looks like you folks are trying to store a little of everything. That sounds much better than some peoples' approach!

I asked because some preppers will buy a years worth of beans and rice, or a years worth of freeze dried food, and figure that they are all prepped for food. Then they move on to other prepping items like guns and generators.

I did not think I would like to live on such a restricted diet, so I stored a couple of buckets of rice and learned to cook a variety of Chinese food to go with the rice. It isn't all stir-fry: there is also egg foo young and dumplings and other good things!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Basically, it looks like you folks are trying to store a little of everything. That sounds much better than some peoples' approach!

I asked because some preppers will buy a years worth of beans and rice, or a years worth of freeze dried food, and figure that they are all prepped for food. Then they move on to other prepping items like guns and generators.

I did not think I would like to live on such a restricted diet, so I stored a couple of buckets of rice and learned to cook a variety of Chinese food to go with the rice. It isn't all stir-fry: there is also egg foo young and dumplings and other good things!
This ties directly into one's personal ideas about 'prepping'. For my purposes, I find the fundamental question to be the basic method you choose. Are you planning to hide in the bunker until the storm blows over in a couple of day, a couple of months, or a couple of years, or conversely, are you planning to maintain as close to your normal or new normal lifestyle as you are able regardless of circumstance which dovetails much more closely with the homestead model rather than the bunker model.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Basic theme is "Its hot, might not look like much but its good" if the kids dont like it it will be reheated tomorrow ;) and will still be the same.... ok maybe not.

having moved into the "city" [population about 1000] a few years back after a personal SHTF and losing the acreage, we went from owning, to renting and no garden space, to owning again but no garden space and trying several types of gardening over the past 7 seasons.... this year 2 containers of tomatoes only [time constraints] and one got blossom end rot.....

anyhow we had to use our preps years back and were good to go that we didnt have just a years worth of dry beans and rice, but a well rounded pantry of canned [store purchased] foods and a somewhat full freezer [25 cuft] of venison and domestic beef. it got tight while we were bouncing back from our losses, but the kids were small and didnt eat like the teens they are now.... though they dont like certain veggies.

My wife and I are both decent cooks from scratch, and she manages a successful restaurant and bakery the past three years after managing a different restaurant the previous 3 years time.... I like dutch oven cooking and have my kids indoctrinated into using cast iron for much of anything on the stove or over the campfire..... we do have stainless sauce pans and a few hotdog/marshmallow sticks too.... shoot we even have a pizza grill for the campfire my youngest requested for momma for a present one year around a decade back....

So no themes, we just keep ingredients and such on hand and make what we like, spices go a long way to making those meals taste a bit different all the time and no one gets burnt out on flavors or styles of foods.... today it was raining and i made bluecorn blueberry cornmeal muffins in bite size pans [2] and then made one 12 inch cast iron pan soi didnt have to wait for the original pans to cool... clean and fill again.... 13year old got upset when momma cat with 5 kittens decided that the corn dogders were ok for her to eat on too tonite off the table before anyone could stop her, she had 2 and was gone.....

William
Idaho

·
Registered
154 Posts
I do have a few years of what I call staples to cook with but I also have a variety of home canned goods that I will make meals from. Then I have meals already in the jar, like stews,soups, meat party's with gravy on busy days that I don't have time to cook. All these are considered "preps", but we store what we eat and these items get rotated. Heck I've even canned up leftover casseroles. It may not be great but its comfort food if sitting around a campfire. :).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts