Do young bucks usually have a problem reaching?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TennesseeMama23, Oct 4, 2006.

1. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

My stinky boy is 6 months old and I want him to be the stud muffin this year, I just wonder if he will be able to get the job done without hurting himself. This is the first buck I have ever owned so I am new at this. He weighs about 65-70+ lbs (?-just by looking at him). I just can't imagine he would be able to do it being 6-8 inches shorter than the girls.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen bucklings hop 6" off the ground on the last lunge just to get the job done, but thats very tiring and some simply can't. I had to deal with this twice today as two of my tall Saanan girls were bred to my 2006 buckling. I led the doe to a dip in the ground with her back feet being on the far edge so that when the buck stood right behind her, he was pretty much level. Then I held her there while he did his job a couple times. He was extremely pleased with himself..... :)

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I've been told that you can put the buck on a hay bale and hold the doe for him...by the way...stud muffin...snert!

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I've seen some determined little rascals able to do the job on taller does. If the height difference is interfering, try putting him on a plank or hay bale to compensate. I'd just be more concerned about his technique. I've found some of my nigie boys still are not totally reliable til seven months.

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

One of my bucks last year was 6 months old also, he was a little short (not so short now) and he bred my tallest doe. It does help, that the girls will stand still and even get down for them, when they are ready. I got beautful twins.

6. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

We used to have a China Berry tree in our goat pen that we cut down and left the stump cut low. We mound dirt up over it and this is the spot where I lead the girls and back them up to the mound and the young bucks stand on the mound. It makes them a few inches taller and they can reach the girls just fine.

7. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Ok, I can't help my self...........I think the buck motto is:
    Where there's a "willy" there's a way.

8. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, my 3-4 month old nigerian buck from a very small line -- maybe 15 lbs at the time -- appears to have got the job done on three 50lb does. It's been a month and they haven't come back into heat. They're twice his height. And they don't like him much.

He was pretty darn determined ...

9. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

:rotfl: You're so right!!!

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

My 6 month old bucks don't seem to have a problem breeding the older does. I just bred a March 06 La Mancha buck to my largest doe. Isis is just about the biggest doe I've ever seen and the little guy didn't have any problem performing. My 6 month old Nubian bred my 4 year old Nubian doe with no problem.