Do You Wash Dishes By Hand or Machine?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MomInGa, Apr 29, 2004.

1. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

There are so many changes I'm making to our lifestyle since embarking on homesteading, that I just take things one step at a time. I'm actually curious as to how many of the homesteaders here dont own a dishwasher, or own one but never use it?
    While looking into this subject I found a few tidbits I wanted to share. Hope something is useful and hope if you have a good tidbit, you will toss it back my way.
    Do You Wash Dishes By Hand or Machine?
    :)

Tidbits found:

Wash only full loads in the dishwasher.

When washing dishes by hand, use a filled dishpan or sink for washing and one for rinsing: don't let the faucet run.

Scrape, don't rinse off most dishes before washing.

Dishwashers use hotter water than you would use if you were washing the dishes by hand, so they can do a better job of killing germs.

Overall washing dishes by hand does not save that much money, but does make a difference in energy used.

Homemade Dishwasher Soap: 1 part borax and 1 part washing soda. Mix the washing soda snd borax. Store in a plastic covered container. To use, add 2 tablespoons to the dishasher soap compartment.

Homemade Dishwashing Liquid: (For hand washing, not dishwasher. Not alot of suds, but cleans very well I read) 1/4 cup soap flakes, 2 cups hot water, 1/4 cup glycerin, 1/2 teaspoon lemon essential oil. 1)Combine soap flakes & water, stir until dissolved. Cool to luke warm. 2) Add glycerin & the oil, leave to cool. As it cools it will form a loose gel. Stir with a fork, break up the gel. Pour into a narrow-necked bottle. An old shampoo bottle container, or something like it, works well. 3) To use, squirt 3 teaspoonfuls into hot running water

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I love my dishwasher! I usually end up washing the pots and pans by hand, and any good china we happen to use. When I was growing up, dishwashing was my least favorite chore. My mother's sink faces nothing but an avacado green wall (still the same color that it was in 1976!). Now, I have a window in front of the sink that faces the back property. I have a birdfeeder nearby too. Washing dishes is much more pleasant when there is something nice to look at!

3. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I wash by hand during the week and use the dishwasher on the weekends when we're ususally busier. I have to run it at least once a week otherwise minerals build up in the plumbing because of our hard water.

I only fill the sink about 1/3 full of water and then run water into the washing water to rinse the dishes. I would have to disagree that its cheaper to run the dishwasher. Our dishwasher cycle is at least 45 minutes. It ususally takes me less than 10 minutes to wash the dishes for the two of us.

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I stuff anything that will possibly fit into the dishwasher. I loathe hand washing dishes. I use it to heat canning jars to prior to filling them too. I only run it when it's full, plus I run it during off peak hours as we get a cheaper rate on electricity.

Stacy in NY

5. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Call me weird but I find dishwashing by hand very restful, but Im one of those folks that washes as I cook so I dont have a huge pile. I especially love washing dishes in the early morning or at dusk. I have a huge window over the sink with a great view and I love watching the birds and such with my hands in a sink of hot water and suds. I generally turn on the radio or some old record and just have a good old time. :p

6. Sherri C

Sherri C Plays with yarn

I prefer the dishwasher, but in our current house the dishwasher is ancient and does a lousy job so I'm back to washing them by hand. I would like a new dishwasher someday but it's not high on the priority list.

Washing the dishes was always my job when I was growing up, and I hated every minute of it. If my mom could only see me now! :D

7. Herb.

Herb. Well-Known Member

Dishwashing seems to be my job since I retired but I only mind once in awhile. I use both, normally by hand in the sink unless there is a lot like when my youngest daughter cooks or the cold/flu is going around the house. I think the dishwasher does a better job of killing the germs, don't know for sure but think it is the dry cycle that does the deed on them. I find washing them by hand is somewhat relaxing, gives me a feeling of accomplishment and gets my hands really clean at the same time.

8. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

I don't mind washing by hand but DH hates it; we use our dishwasher all the
    time. It's especially good for milking stuff (both pots I milk into and strainers
    and milk jars and cheese/yogurt making stuff) and all the pots and measuring
    cups for canning (when the kitchen is full of blackberry pulp and everywhere
    I look I see purple containers, what I relief to just put it all in the dishwasher).
    We only run it when it's completely full.

9. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

Well DH usually does the dishes. He sometimes uses the dish washer. When I wash I almost always use the dish washer. I hate doing dishes and if it wasn't horrible for the environment I'd use disposible and throw everything away. We run the washer full and just open the door to dry. The heat from the hot water is usually enough to at least have them half dried.

10. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

We used to use a dishwasher but when it finally gave out we decided that we really don't need one. Hubby and I both do the dishes depending on who feels like doing them. There is only the two of us so we don't collect a lot of dishes anyway. It would take us a few days to fill up the dishwasher and I didn't really like the idea of dirty dishes sitting in the dishwasher for a few days waiting for enough to run it. We are both fine with handwashing and expect we will continue to do it. Neither one of us really minds doing them and it has pretty much worked out to 50/50 split between who is doing them.
    Colleen

11. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We have a dishwasher but we have never used it here in the country. In the city we used it all the time but now that we are retired the dish washing is my job and my wife does the cooking baking etc.

The deal we made: she cooks I wash. Works great for us and saves water at the same time. Now if I could just find a cream for dishpan hands hummmmmmm>LOL

12. RAC

RAC Guest

I do the pots and big bowls by hand, the rest go in the dishwasher--we run it every one or two days. I turn it off right after the final rinse cycle and pull out the trays to let them air dry overnight, then put the dishes away in the morning. Ours is older, but it still works fine, and we run it on the low energy setting, which means that most plastics can go on the bottom tray as well as the top.

The newer dishwashers and clothes washers can heat their own water, so you can leave your water heater at 120 degrees or whatever they recommend for families with children. Since our dishwasher does not heat its own water, I do the pots, etc. first to "preheat" the water, then toss the brush and sponge in the dishwasher.

What helps with dishpan hands is a good set of gloves and some hand cream. I have a pair of Bluette gloves, and I put cream or lotion on my hands, then put on the gloves to do the dishes in. The hot water in the sink helps the lotion penetrate the skin better. You can also buy the rubber gloves one size larger, and wear cotton gloves over your hands after you put the lotion on, then wash the cotton gloves out every so often.

As to whether it saves money/energy to do them by hand or in the dishwasher, it depends. I still see people with top of the line dishwashers scraping and rinsing before they put the dishes in the dishwasher. You're not supposed to need to do that anymore. One of my friends does this to the point that the dishes are clean before they go in the dishwasher, and to me it's like you may as well just wash them by hand..... I don't rinse and I rarely even scrape, even with our old dishwasher, and 99% of the time the dishes come out clean. They are nice if you are sterilizing a bunch of jars.

We use it because we have it, and there's no way to pull it out and be able to match the old kitchen cabinets. Would I miss it? No.

13. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I prewash by dog and cat, then sterile soak in cold bleach water, then handwash in antibacterial dish soap and 190 degree water. Unles I have people always setting down on me at dinner. Then I let them see me dog and cat wash, cold water wash and put em in the strainer ( I wash em right after the moochers leave ) :)

14. mtfarmchick

mtfarmchick Well-Known Member

FolioMark, I too like to wash my dishes by hand. There are 7 of of and I don't think it takes much longer to do them by hand than it takes to use a dishwasher. The only reason I would like one is to hide the dirty dishes when someone somes over without notice.

15. seraphima

seraphima Active Member

Well, you'all sure flabbergasted me! A dishwasher????!!! in a homestead?! :D

You sure must be living a different lifestyle than I do....except for the dog prewash.
    Isn't anyone else on a well, with septic? Where do you fit a dishwasher in a less than 900 sq foot cabin? Does the on-demand propane hot water allow enough water flow for a dishwasher. Gee, I still have trouble taking showers!

It is true that dishwashers get things cleaner, though...but I can't get over the idea that some people actually have one in a homestead....

live and learn! :D

16. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

I guess I do have it a lot different. I have a nice house on little over 4 acres. I have it pretty easy in that respect. I guess homesteading to me, is the inner need to be self reliant and independent. The older I get, the less I like society as a whole. (I'm 45 now and figure by the time I am 55 I will be darn right anti-social to a degree.)
    I dont want to be dependent on society for a great deal of life's needs.
    On septic but so is about everyone else out here. I am not on well water. I get a plain old water bill every month, along with other utility bills.
    Sounds like your life is a lot different from mine, and even though they are different, I do hope that the "meeting of the minds" so to speak, crosses over those differences, in the pursuit of similiar goals.

I use both, the dishwasher and hand wash. I also think Penny (the dog) is a super pre-rinse girl. (comments about the dog and all yall said, made me smile)

17. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

By hand during the week and by dishwasher on the weekends if we are busy. I don't mind it much anymore but I use to loathe washing dishes and always used the dishwasher in the burbs. Now my kitchen sink overlooks the pond out back and I can see one of the goat pens too. It is relaxing now. I always wanted a window over the kitchen sink and I was finally able to get one with this house (and actually have a view too!) :)

18. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority. I do not own a dishwasher. I do, however, have children who could pass for one :)

I used to hate the dishes when I was a kid. I finally got a dishwasher when I was 20. I haven't had one in the last 6 years though. There was none with the houses I've had and I got the kids, so why buy one?

I do like doing dishes now. Everyone leaves you alone. It is one of the few times I can be in the house without someone wanting something from me. They all disappear when the suds break out.

I will do the dishes when I have the chance, but usually I do not have time so the kids do them.

Jena

19. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

A dishwasher NO! I prefer to do them by hand. We had a dishwasher given to us as a wedding present, but I found our hard water was turning them brown. And besides that I always had the pots & pans & casserole dishes that had to be hand washed anyway. We have a well & septic system. But we are careful by scraping the dishes first, then washing them in one sink & have a small dishpan to rinse them in, in the other sink. One of lifes simple pleasures, right along with hanging laundry out on my clothesline. I don't like using the drier. We just love the smell of fresh laundry that is line dried outdoors.

20. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Yep prewash by dog, or she gets her nose outta joint for the day/night..... then the big potrs get it in the sink.... and the plates, glasses and flatware get the treatment of the dishwasher.

WE have a "greywater" hole where there is 2 15 yards truck loads of base rock for drainage, and a septic for the toilet.... the shower goes to the greywater..... if I had built this place i woulda put the greywater into a holding bin for gardening, but with 32 gallon a minute well it really isnt needed [pump only handles 11 but i could go larger pump if needed]

My wife doesnt like doing the dishes either by hand nor by dishwasher and doesnt fit the dishes in tight enough for me.... so i do em..... maybe i just figgered out how she gets me to do em......hmmmmmmmm

the dog and cold water rinse for awhile........