Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I overheard my wife talking to a friend telling her what good deals she got at a yard sale on clothes. Some of the clothes she got were brand new, but must have been washed.

My wife said she prefers to wear new clothes exactly as is, she likes the "crisp" feel of them. Her freind stated that she always washes new clothes BEFORE wearing them.

I've always worn new clothes before tossing them in the dirty clothes basket, so of course, my strange mind wants to know what the "norm" is out there.

So, do you wash your brand new BEFORE you ever wear them?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,838 Posts
They spray cloth and clothing that comes over from all those foreign countries where they are made with insecticides and mold inhibitors for the long slow boat ride.

I wash.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Usually. i always wash things if they're from a store where someone else might have tried them on, but not always if they are mail ordered and arrive in sealed bags.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A few years ago I worked in the fashion department of a major department store. When the shipping boxes were opened for the first time a very strong
chemical smell would waft into the air. This stuff would burn our noses and have us coughing. Pesticides and fungicides are routinely sprayed on all fabrics being shipped. The worst boxes were the sweaters from foreign countries. They were sometimes "sticky" with residue and had to be air dried before they could be put on the racks. The women in my local fabric store tell me the same thing about fabrics. Not to mention that the boxes are sprayed to keep away roaches. So to answer your question, yes I wash everything even fabric before I sew it. I kind of have a chemical phobia.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I always wash them cause some of you might have been in the store pawing through them.

And from reading some of the threads, especially in the Goat Forum, I have a pretty good idea where your hands have been.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Due to chemicals, yes, we wash first. I also was fabrics before I sew with them, but mostly just to account for shrinkage. If I didn't, I would wash the item before use anyway.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, we do. They are just nasty and no telling who tried them on before I bought. THey also have a chemical smell when new.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I wash new clothes first to avoid chemical contact with my skin.

You're also supposed to take dry-cleaned clothing out of the bags and let them breathe before wearing.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Wash- to rid them of any dirt/cooties from others trying them on or the grubby hands of all involved in making and selling. Not fanatical about it though except with underpants.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Turtlehead and I will go stand in the Pigpen corner...that's OK...

Well, DH does the laundry in our household, and he'd think I was nuts(er) if I made him wash brand new stuff. I don't think a whole lot of germ phobias and such...my immune system appears to work just fine even though I don't dunk myself in antibacterial gel every couple of minutes. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts