Do You Vaccinate for Flu?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I vaccinate for parvo, lepto, and pox (we had pox here first time we ever raised a pig) with FarrowSure Plus. Lo and behold if I don't have a case of the flu in my pen right now. I know it isn't a deadly problem (not that it is good for sows that are already taxed with lactation) but it puts a damper on any sales or butcher until they are fine again. Once this is over I'll vaccinate my keepers. What do you all vaccinate for?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We never had the flu in our hogs, but have had dust pneuminia (sp)
    If the lot or housing gets fine dry dust in them the the hogs raise a little dust cloud when the run. To much in their lungs causes the problem. We scatered old oil on the dust to hold it down but never treated the pigs. I can't tell you what the flu treatment would be.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I put them on oxytetracycline because it was what I had on hand. Makes me think about auto waterers since it would be so much easier to medicate them when needed - but I'd rather not have to medicate at all. :(

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

No vaccinations. Have lost a total of one pig from disease in 8 years. I believe not penning them is the key

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Wish I could do that too but even in pasture, I would vaccinate them in my area. We are in the middle of wild pig herds. Any outbreak in those herds would affect mine where I live since they are as close as the fence line.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

The population of wild swine here is rather small, both in number and in size. My guess is there's a fair amount of potbelly in them, but they predate my potbellies.