Do you think you live in one of the cheapest places in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rxnwl, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Rxnwl

Rxnwl Well-Known Member

I live in Az one of the 5 highest cost of living places in the country(sanDiego and Seattle are two more). I want to move to Virginia,please post where you live and let me know if you think its a cheap place to live. Thanks

2. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I'm in Arizona, too, right now, but I can tell you that where I'm from (western KY) is much, much cheaper --- at least when you talk about LAND. KY is cheaper, TN, IN, and IL, for starters.
    A lot of people from CA have come into AZ, buying up real estate and driving up prices altho people keep saying the market is about to go bust.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

check this out...

http://www.missourieconomy.org/indicators/cost_of_living/index.stm

My state "confusion" I mean Maine....is a high taxed state when compared to wages...and high heat bills
    New Hampshire has lowish taxes but land/housing is higher....

Crime, fresh air, public land access, availability of game are also things I would consider if moving....

But the secret is to live small and work around the tax burdens whereever you live :goodjob:

4. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Hey, I live near Charlottesville VA and it's a wonderful place! I can't say that it's cheap, though it's probably tons cheaper than where you live. Try Harrisburg or Blacksburg, VA, they are beautiful towns.

good luck!

Beaux

5. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

West virginia, Missouri and most of the southern states between texas and florida are all cheap places to live. Kentucky and tennessee are too.

6. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Cost of living and price of real estate is quite low in many parts of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama -- also lots more freedom from regulation in rural areas.

7. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Quite a bit of real estate available in N'awlins. :)

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

New Orleans, LOL! No offense to anyone who's from there, but WHY are they rebuilding in areas that are only going to flood again?!?

Oregon is NOT on the list of the cheapest places to live. It has some advantages, such as no sales tax, and prices of food and so on aren't any higher here than anywhere else, but real estate is quite high (too close to California), and real estate taxes are also fairly high, though not as bad as New Hampshire, where I've also lived.

Kathleen

9. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

Illinois sure isn't cheap. I would say they are adverage in my area. Taxes are high on property and fuel. Goods are very fair. Great transport lane. The land prices in this area are way out of market for affordable.

When I lived in North Dakota. The goods cost more, but land and taxes were much cheaper. Life was slower and better.

10. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

Try nothern Michigan, Land is cheap but Gas and food are a little high, of course there are no jobs and you had better like snow a lot.

11. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I really like Maine.

Maine's state income tax, has four separate tax brackets;
    the lowest tax bracket is 2% [the lowest in any state is Iowa with 0.36%, the highest is NC with 6.0%],
    and the highest tax bracket is 8.5% [ the lowest 'high bracket' of any state is Maryland 4.75%, the highest is Vermont with 9.5%]

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/32.html
    I have heard this quoted many times, but with a wife and one child still at home; I file our taxes but as yet have not earned a high enough income to begin paying any state income taxes. We tend to gross in the upper end of a five figure income.

http://www.maineco.org/advantages/lifestyle.htm

So far during this past year, we have found this to be about the cheapest place that we have ever lived.

:)

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't forget Mississippi! Pretty cheap to live here (we moved here from Dallas/Ft. Worth).

I lived in VA for a couple years - just outside of D.C. and it was NOT cheap by any means! I hated it there.

13. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We lived in Newport News Va, for a few years, it did seem expensive.

Most recently [stateside] we were in Connecticut, right before moving up here to Maine. Ct is very expensive. If I did not already own an apartment building in Ct, I would never be able to live there. It is just so very expensive.

but here in Maine, our experience so far has been that things are fairly cheap. Especially the property taxes. Very low.

:)

14. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Tennessee is a real bargain, 9.75% sales tax! Our license plates have gone up $40 in the last couple of years too with a wheel tax. They all need money and they all only have one source. What's cheap now won't be for long.

15. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Every time I buy something in AR the sales tax knocks me for a loop. I may start taking bi-monthly trips to OK or MO if those states are any better, I would have to buy a lot though as I am 2 hours away from there and gas is expensive. What is sales tax in MO and OK? I remember when I was little living in OH they did not tax food from the grocery store, Just seems right. Oh well I plan to be growing about all our food so that will not really effect me.

16. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

High property taxes are the tax that bothers me the most. I figure if the economy crumps and your income drops way off, you aren't going to have to worry about income tax, and you only pay sales tax on stuff you buy. But if you can't pay your property taxes, then you could lose your home, garden, pastures -- everything you need to feed your family -- even if the place is otherwise paid for.

New Hampshire has a high property tax, and so does Oregon, though not quite as high as NH. States that I know have really low property taxes are mostly in the Mid-west -- I'd like to see more comment on what property taxes are in different states. For example, what would the property tax be on a home worth $100,000 in your area? Where we live now, we have a home worth a little bit more than that, and are paying just over $1,100/year for property taxes. In NH for this place (1400 sf new manufactured home on one acre), we'd probably be paying double that, or close to double. Can you give an estimate for a similar place in your area?

Kathleen

17. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Gee I am not sure probably at the most $300. I think I read on here that OK does not have a property tax for your primary homstead they tax all your critters though. I share your concerns bluejuniperfarm Property taxes are unethical and a blight on the world. Look at how they are used to force farms that have been in peoples families generations away from them as the cities/subdivisions grow up around them and they cant afford to pay the land taxes from their small agriculturally based income. As a wise man once said (wendell Berry) it is like taxing a micro biologist at a 100k rate cause that is what he could make at some big bio tech company but he is actually a highschool teacher making 30k.

18. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

19. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Interesting calculator thanks

20. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

*sigh* This would be the issue with Vermont... you can work your butt off to pay your place off but the taxes just keep on coming. I try to be "fair" about this... we have "good" schools (based on test scores and such, and what they tell me... I don't have kids so I don't know this from first hand experience). We do have awesome recreational opportunities which we take advantage of regularly (the bike path for example, allows us to get most of our errands done, even in a rural area, without running a car). We have a pretty good uninsured low income health plan (especially for children)...

But this all costs money. And it seems like every year they're ratcheting the property tax up another notch.

Ouch. How much is "too much?"