Do you think this stuff will improve my MPG?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by horsegurl146, Apr 25, 2006.

1. horsegurl146

horsegurl146 Member

Ethos Fuel Reformulator
    I recently found this company, joined as a seller (you can join for free through April 30th), and am going to place an order by the end of the month. Has anyone had any experience with them?
    www.4-ecorp.com/jstedman
    I guess they've been around for a while, have been using it for commercial fleet vehicles (city garbage trucks, etc). It's supposed to get you a better MPG, cleaner smog emissions, cleaner engine (so less maintenance), and it's so safe you can *taste* it.
    Just wondering if anyone has actually *used* it, heard of it, etc.

Thanks!

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Becareful a lot of fake stuff that does not work is advertised in mags.

3. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Ester blend additives? Sure. Do they work? Sort of. Seen lots for diesel motors over the years. They are also used a whole lot for 'oil additives'. Think along the lines of Marvel Mystery Oil and that's your competition and what they are trying to do and prove with their product.

If they work as well in gas as they do in oil, you'll never see me put one in anything I wanted to run well for long.

Devil's advocate (and somewhat shameless plug):

The best bet when looking at companies like that is to see if they show you actual test results, if you can find more info (preferably positive) on the net on message boards and such for the demographic, if a patent is mentioned, do they list the number, and best one of all, do they back up their product with a written guarantee or warranty? One of the major reasons I even considered becoming an Amsoil dealer:

http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx?zo=1400220

Can't beat that with a stick. Red Line and Royal Purple (I was considering them as well, I'm 'into' cars) don't offer one as far as I could find... and Amsoil has been around a good long while and have an excellent reputation within the automotive community. Add to that the fact that I've used Amsoil for years and it was an easy choice for me. New company like that, no background, no support system, no truly proven product... I'd be leery of buying it, nevermind giving them personal info and such. :shrug: But I'm hard to convince on engine stuff.

Oh yea, and my plug... www.bestoilaround.com -lol!!!

4. Red Devil TN

5. horsegurl146

horsegurl146 Member

I didn't find it in a mag, I found it online.

The product and the company aren't new, they've been around for over 10 years. The way that they're selling it is new. Using individual and company distributers(MLM style) instead of just selling it themselves.
    A quote from their website: "Hundreds of millions of miles of road tests has proven that commercial fleets on average increase fuel mileage between 9% and 19% and reduce emissions by more than 30%. 4-E's, Ethos FR offers a cost effective solution to help industry meet environmental regulations and relieve skyrocketing fuel prices. Commercial fleets in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Latin America, Asia and Europe use this re-formulator."
    A press release about it: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/4/prweb372734.htm
    They've also gotten news coverage from Fox and MSNBC. Those clips are right on the home webpage.

Off of their website again: "An ester is a group of liquid or solid compounds formed by the reaction of an acid and an alcohol with the elimination of water. There are organic and synthetic esters. For example most natural oils, fats and waxes are esters. More common esters are beer, soap and polyester used in clothing. Ethos FR contains non-toxic, non-hazardous synthetic esters."
    I also *like* the fact that it's not petroleum based, and is completely non toxic and non hazardous.

Keep the comments coming! Is there anyone here that has actually used this stuff?

Thanks!

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

the only way to tell if it works is to test it for yourself with @ 5 tanks of gas and some very careful calculations.

if you get a hike in mpgs after a few tanks comapred to what you got with plain gas...

then it works.

all this stuff doesnt work on all cars, for various reasons and because of 10,000+variables.... it might work, it might not.

you test it and get back to us.

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Every since the time i put Slick 50 in a perfectly good running car Ive been leery to ever add anything to one since.Remember there claims and proof.Made lifters chatter for ever.

On a side note if you want to sell something.Red Devil is stearing you in the right direction.Ive read Tons of stuff about Aimsoil.Mostly from folks actually using it.And some for a good long time.Haven't heard one bad remark yet.
    I ride two stroke motor cycles and four wheelers so i have heard and read stuff about there two stroke oils as well, some from actual engine builders that have seen what it can do under long term use and race conditions.One highly repeatable builder has sold me on the stuff.If its good enough for his 20k alcohol burning quad its good enough for mine.
    Its good stuff!

8. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

the evening news had a report on these type of magic pills....

in the end they claimed a few had a slight increase in MPG but mostly claimed they were a rip-off... like the "Engine rebuild" in a bottle for a few dollars

ya get what ya pay for

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've always been dubious of all of the magical pixie dusts and wonder potions.

Hey, if the motor is ready to crap the proverbial bed anything is worth a shot I suppose but I wouldn't go tossing a can of who knows what down the crankcase or gas tank of my perfectly good 50 thousand dollar vehicle. Or my 5 thousand dollar vehicle for that matter if it runs fine.

Keep your vehicle in good repair and maintained as recommended with the grades of lubricants recommended and leave the mystery goop on the shelf.

10. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I'll sell you a cheaper product that is guaranteed to work... as a matter of fact its free, it's called information.

Don't leadfoot the gas pedal.

Don't drive faster than 55.

Coast down hills.

Coast towards stop signs.

If you're using you're brakes, you're wasting fuel... coast, coast, coast...

A few times in the past I've been crosscountry driving and a filling station would be closed, and to get to the next one, I'd slow down, coast down the hills, etc., and boost my mpg by 10 miles a gallon....

of course, it is hard selling this thru MLM or whatever...

11. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I'll add:

- keep your tires properly inflated
    - clean air filter and a properly tuned engine
    - keep track of your mpg with different brands of gasoline, you may be surprised at the outcome

cheers,

12. Red Devil TN

State of tune, the biggest! This is ALWAYS overlooked. Make sure the state of tune is good. Fuel, air and oil filters, pcv, cap, rotor, wires and plugs, proper IAC and TPS settings, etc. etc. I don't know how many vehicled I've worked on over the years that have come in with equipment in such a state of disrepair that I could barely believe they were running, much less getting good gas milage. :grump:

Tire pressure is a very big thing that many, many, may, many people do not review. Uneven is as bad as low and will have a very negative effect on mpg.

Air filter now is a touchy area. While I love the AMSOIL stuff, I really do, the only thing I generally steer my clients away from is their air filters. While they are better than the crappy K&Ns and like filters, they still do not hold a candle to a regular old AC Delco paper air filter! For your daily driver don't waste any money on any of the high end filters, they are for the racing/performance market, and some do a crappy job at even that. Not to mention that some let in a lot more dirt to boot.

I have a site that did some extensive testing on it... I'll try and find it later and post it. For daily drivers/ non-race vehicles you just can't beat a paper filter for overall performance. For racing and such, then I recommend looking at both paper filters and Amsoil ones. Depends on how they will maintain the vehicle and filter.

Back to the top end lube stuff... I can see sales of that increase, or at least a market really develop IF, and it's a big IF, E85 continues to take the country by storm. Vehicles running E85 will see increases in durability, less maintenance and maybe some improvement in mpg with a top end lube. Problem with focusing sales into one product such as this is... well... it is only one product and is offered by a slew of companies already. Amsoil has some too iirc.

On a side note, whe I started using Amsoil, the company was about 20 years old and I still considered them 'new'. I didn't sign on until they were 35 years old and had proven their product in a lot more ways. I'm a bit of a cynic and a little paranoid in what I use, build etc. ;)

And I'll try and find that air filter study...

13. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member